Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Changing Computer Owners Name?  (Read 3713 times)

floyd

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Changing Computer Owners Name?
    « on: June 13, 2005, 01:46:43 PM »
    Does anyone out there know how to change the computer owners name. I'm not asking about the users name, but I need the one you type in when you first format the hard drive and XP prompts you for the owners name.
    I use Windows XP Home, SP-2.
    Thank you
    Floyd

merlin_2

Re: Changing Computer Owners Name?
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 01:50:47 PM »
    Start/Run/Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, do the following: In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK/Exit.

floyd

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 03:49:17 PM »
      Thanks Merlin, but that didn't do it.  I also tried changing the entry under RegisteredOwner and it didn't do it.  The owners name is all over the registry.  I wonder if I changed them all if that would work.  I'd hate to have to go through all that and have it revert back to the original when I reboot.
      Any other ideas?  It seems like a person should have a way to do it without reformatting.
      Floyd

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 03:56:31 PM »
      Changing the RegisteredOwner value should accomplish the task.

You did select change as opposed to change name, correct?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 03:58:25 PM »
      Thats bgates....for you who wants to control the world....no only in software.....but hardware...

other options.....is to reformat the pc .....on installation.....type user in the user box......or if bothered by that term user...>>>> simple      .         will do
      « Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:59:11 PM by merlin_2 »

floyd

Topic Starter

Rookie
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »
        Raptor, I'm not sure what you mean by,

"You did select change as opposed to change name, correct?"

I double clicked on RegisterdOwner and changed the name there.  Is that what you were talking about?
        Floyd

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 04:18:42 PM »
        That should have sufficed as it works properly on my system. I use Windows XP Home edition.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 04:26:07 PM »
        Start/Run/Regedit
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK.