Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slowed to a Halt  (Read 3531 times)

DarkendHeart

Topic Starter

Beginner

Slowed to a Halt
    « on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
    Ok, yesterday I was on my computer when I noticed it started to slow. Now this is very odd as I have 4gbytes of RAM and a quad core running a 2.83GH/z. So thinking it just needed a good old shutdown I let if rest for the night. Now today on start-up my system froze/wouldn't respond on simple tasks like opening Task Manager, or calling the search function, oddly though calling Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox booted fast and smoothly, same with any process running to view or folders but anything that needs to use power or do anything to the system it would bog down. I'm running Windows Vista x32. I figured it was something small so I tried a bunch of the standard stuff, clearing temp, attempting to defrag, removing all of my third party start-up stuff, stopping all secondary services. The weird thing is that it start's up in ruffly 2-3min, but any task past that causes it to slow to a screeching halt, I waited five minutes just to get to the "CTRL ALT DEL" screen and then another five or more just to get up Task Manager. So any and all help is GREATLY appreciated. Also I noticed that the process "CMDAGENT.exe"(A process used by my firewall/antivirus Comodo) is using 50% of my processor power I have seen this before on another computer but never had the chance to fully investigate it before the hard drive was wiped, it did appear to be a virus as the cause. If you don't know what Comodo is it's a firewall/real time scanning antivirus. Please any help is welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Edit: Well I seem to have found the issue, the issue was cmdagent.exe, it was using all of my system resources. After stopping it from auto starting my system ran smooth, issue is now that I've done some searching and it seems that it can either mess up on it's own or a malware can do it. Trojan found "Trojan.Agent/Gen-PennyStockChaser". Along with a Malware.Packer that infected Comodo. So if you ever have this issue this is most likely the cause.

~~WARNING~~ This "fix" caused windows to blue screen on restart, restarting again how ever will "fix" the issue. Not sure why it does this.

Edit again: Well the underlying issue isn't resolved, Comodo(Firewall) will cause me to freeze. Also, it seems SuperANTISpyware & Malware Bytes cant update, they both return an error so I believe I'm still infected. Help would be appreciated!
    « Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 11:56:08 PM by DarkendHeart »

james202428

Re: Slowed to a Halt
    « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:49:16 AM »
    I would go into safemode delete everything that sas antispyware and malwarebytes go into control panel and delete the two and reinstall them.

you could try these to speed it up so you can try to fix it faster you already did defrag just do the quick stuff
    all the things i listed is for xp but i think some of it will work for vista but i wouldn't know were to look because i don't have vista

then run the antiviruses after this

1 disk defragment go to start then accessories then diskdefragment you can see if you need one before you do it by clicking the analyze

2 same place in start accesories then disk cleanup I usually check everything

3 go to all of your internet browsers and delete everything mosty just the cookies,      will speed it up like internet explorer it's tools then delete browsing history and in there you can delete cookies are whatever you want,  I will usually check everything

4 Ok xp has alot of visual effects that slows it down alot more than you might think this speeded up my computer quit a bit even after i did the stuff above ok to do this go to start all programs left click on my computer then properties then advanced then under performence click on settings then click on adjust for best performece don't worry nothing bad will happen
    and uncheck everything
    but your your computer will lose it's settings so your computer will look like windows 95 are 98 but you can change it afterwards but i don't i'll gladly sacrifice fancy looks for some more speed anyday but just going back to the xp look by left clicking on the desktop then properties shouldn't slow it down to much

5 ok now make sure everything on your computer you don't want is deleted

6 ok now some antiviruses with live protection can slow down a computer alot more than you think try avira and turn off live protection also download
    malwarebytes and superantispyware these are good

7 there are some other things you could try besides antispyware and malware programs like registry cleaners try tweaknow regcleaner and eusing free registry cleaner from cnet you could also download smart defrag

8 ok go to run type in msconfig and under services and startup uncheck everything you don't want becarefull there are some things in there you want to have for your computer to run properly like in startup i can uncheck with my computer superantispyware  avgnt  readersl  teatimer realschred
    qttask now in services you could also uncheck alot of things like with mine i can uncheck google updater service   windows cardspace  java quick starter
    windows media player n  (sucurity center optional but i din't want it) also
    avira antivir shceduler avira antivir guard google software updater and there are many more i have unchecked make sure you unchech all the things you don't want and not uncheck everything you need some of these things for windows to run properly on the internet if you don't know what each thing is google it and it will tell you what it is.

9 ok in mycomputer left click on c then properties and uncheck indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching this doesn't help for a faster computer and don't compress the disk to save space then click apply then ok

10 in my computer click on tools then folder options then view then uncheck automaticly search for network folders and printers

« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 06:51:30 AM by james202428 »

DarkendHeart

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Slowed to a Halt
      « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
      Thanks for the help, but I said screw it and decided to just install Windows 7. Everything is working beautifully now. Thanks anyways! Good luck to any one else that has this issue, I've read that installing a latter version of Comodo fixes this, but I never tried.