Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Does this describe a Malware infection?  (Read 2903 times)

StarBaseONE2

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
Does this describe a Malware infection?
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »
Greetings friends and neighbors!

I recently bought a laptop. It is running Win XP Home. I got it cheap because the previous owner could no longer sign on to any account. Well I thought I would sign on in safe mode on the admin account and disable the passwords for the other accounts and have a nice laptop. That's not how it has worked out.

No matter which account (safe mode or not) is accessed the same thing happens. It prompts "Loading your setting" then scarcely a second later it prompts "Logging off Saving your settings" and goes right back to the log in screen. It is almost like the date for windows activation has gone by with out the prompts that it uses in such a situation.

I have not seen this before. If I can get into this machine, and recover of some picture files for the previous owner she would be happy. So would I for that matter as I have no keys for another operating system to put on it and frankly this machine is not worth the purchase of any.

So what do you all think? It seems to boot fine so I'm not sure what my best option is here. If it a Malware I'm not sure how to combat it even with out being signed on...

Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Does this describe a Malware infection?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 01:31:29 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

go to above and complete , post the 3 logs here and an expert will see them

StarBaseONE2

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »
With out signing in to some account how can I possibly run any of the software that generates the logs?
Progress has brought forth a new Information Age! With milestones come drastic changes! First, was to martyr Privacy! Security escaped, but is healing from emergency surgery! We watch his rehabilitation, knowing his complete recovery isn't likely. He's too thin! No wonder he refuses to look you in the eye, when giving customary assurances! He seems to miss the "Good Times" from back in the '70's...

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Dribbling Pensioner
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 04:47:03 PM »
go to another pc d/load them to a memory stick and try it that way if it doe's not work i would go to the windows section and open a topic there it might be better