Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Startup problems and the time it takes to back up files is unusual  (Read 2783 times)

Comicstorm

I have a Gateway FX P-7805u, which i got a few months ago. at windows start up when i turn on my laptop, the loading screen just keeps going and going. so, i have to turn it off manually and turn it back on. it then says that windows was not started correctly and that i can either start it normally or repair the problem. I've tried to repair the problem, and at first, all it said was to do a system restore (which i would like to avoid doing, so I never chose to do it). then, it kept happening, and eventually it started saying that i had to make sure that all media devices were unplugged before i start up my laptop. i tried that, and it still happens. it's now getting worse by having this problem more often. it has gotten to the point where i am now afraid that one day soon my laptop just won't start anymore. what can i do?

if it helps, i bought this laptop refurbished from tigerdirect. here is the link if you need to know anything else about it: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4610279&CatId=3444

and, also, just in case anything is seriously wrong with my laptop, i decided to backup the files. i started yesterday at about 2pm and it went from then to now (12 pm) today, and it is still going. it should only take about 3-5 hours. my friend said it could be something wrong with my hard drive. what other possibilities are there? is it a serious problem?

thank you!

EEVIAC

What happens when you try to boot into Safe Mode?

Power on the computer and tap the F8 key immediately until you come to the Advanced Boot Options.  Select "Safe Mode"   If it boots up into safe mode without trouble, then your problem is likely a driver, virus, or other software..

As I said, see if you can successfully boot into safe mode and post back.

edit: how are you backing up your files if you cannot boot your computer?