Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Sound -- Usual Fixes Aren't Working  (Read 2759 times)

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

No Sound -- Usual Fixes Aren't Working
    « on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:04 PM »
    Recently I had to remove Windows entirely from my laptop and then install it back on, clean slate. Everything seemed to be working, but I've discovered I have no sound. When checking my drivers, there is an error with the sound driver called "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC." Specifically it says, "This device cannot start. (Code 10)."

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling it with no avail, and the Windows troubleshooter was no help. Any fix or workaround would be appreciated.

I run Windows XP Home Edition on a Dell XPS M140 laptop.

EEVIAC

Re: No Sound -- Usual Fixes Aren't Working
    « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:03 AM »
    Have you tried updating the driver, as opposed to just reinstalling it?  Go back into device manager and click on the "update" option instead of the "uninstall" option..

more info. from M$ on this issue here

Make sure the windows audio service is running, also:

Click START, open the "RUN" command

type   services.msc          click OK

When the services windows opens, scroll down to "windows audio"

right click on that and select "properties", next to where it says, "start up type:"  it should be set to "automatic", if it is not, select "automatic", click apply, click ok.....exit out of everything and check your sound

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 05:40:24 AM »
    Did you install the chipset driver before any other drivers?

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
      EEVIAC: Yes, I tried Updating it from the manager. I tried to find the vendor online, but was unsuccessful. Also, I did what you said, and it is already set to Automatic.

Allan: Sorry, I don't know what you mean. I installed the driver for my wireless internet manually, then let Windows Update do the rest. Everything was installed fine except for the sound.

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »
        download and install this Intel chipset driver...

I installed it, but my sound is still gone and there's still an error showing on the IDT Codec

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
          A-ha! We are in the presence of a genius; I have sound again! Thank you, EEVIAC.

Although, if you'll allow me, I have another, much smaller, related problem that maybe you can put your intellect to. There are buttons on the front of my computer for controlling sound: volume up/down and mute. Before my re-installation of Windows, those buttons, when pressed, would bring up a quick, opaque box with a bar indicating volume level, which would quickly disappear after a second or two.

These buttons now still appear to control the sound, but I have no indicator. Do you--or anyone willing--know of how to get that back?

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
          Just out of curiosity, what fixed the problem?    Did a restart after installing the chipset driver fix the problem, or did the sound driver I recommended fix the problem?

As far as the sound goes... Click Start and then click on Control Panel..

There are probably options for sound under the "sounds and audio devices"...Or dell may have there own proprietary options for sound, somewhere in Control Panel..

CCSaar

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »
            Hm... afraid I don't see any options like that in the Control Panel...

As for the fix, it was the sound driver. I suspect the chipset driver had a hand in it, too.