Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: no signal to monitor when starting  (Read 3746 times)

kenji

no signal to monitor when starting
« on: June 13, 2005, 10:54:57 PM »
help

i got a computer from one of  my buddies for repairs and the reason why was because there was no signal to the monitor when you boot the system up. the very first time i received it, i switch the video card with an old one i had and it worked! so i told him to go buy a new video card and gave it back to him. he bought a new one, agp ATI. im not sure which one cuz i didn't buy it with him. he put it on(had some troubles), booted it, it didn't work
. so i took it back and checked, checked his new one, then tried my old one again. it didn't work anymore. but it was before. i tried checking all the plugs and what not. everything works when it started up. the mouse lighted up, keyboard, fan was spinning, lights. etc... but there was no signal to the monitor, the light on the monitor is just blinking yellow. any help?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: no signal to monitor when starting
    « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 12:16:58 AM »
    Try starting in safe mode.

kenji

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 02:00:46 AM »
    i can't even see a signal..so how?

kenji

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 02:02:19 AM »
    i dont see no signal.. so how?

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 03:07:53 AM »
    is the monitor switched on!!check the serial cable pins are not bent....>>>change the video card to another port.....is the monitor any good??

duke shin

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 02:41:17 PM »
    I have about the same problem.  My computer worked OK for 7 months but this morning when I turned on,
    monitor shows No Signal ditected and just black.
    What is the problem, CPU or Video Card?

Windows98

Apprentice

• Proud user of Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 02:46:44 PM »
    as you know there should be one beep at start up to indicate that the video card is ok, And some basic things to see if your monitor is any good is look at the light on the monitor, green means ok, orange means no signal. Make sure u try jiggling the switch in the back. I have a montior that requires banging from time to time to get it to work. Flashing organge means service needed. See if its the cable or the monitor

duke shin

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 03:31:21 PM »
    I have no problem on my monitor.  It shows orange color.  When I turn on my computer, no sound of beep or hard disk running which should be heard. Again, my monitor works fine.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 05:09:16 AM »
    Firmly reseat the videocard in another PCI slot. Assuming it is PCI. If it is AGP, firmly reseat it in AGP slot.