Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP sp3 runs slow,,  (Read 8377 times)

72GSX

Topic Starter

Rookie

XP sp3 runs slow,,
    « on: October 16, 2009, 12:31:27 AM »
    Hi, I have this PC I just got going, it has XP home sp3 with all the updates. It has a Pentium 4 1800 CPU {400 bus speed}. It has one stick of 266 DDR at 256 and another of 512. It seems to run slower with the sp3 installed than it did with sp2.

Is that the norm for sp3 to run a little slower than sp2 or is the CPU not fast enough to run decent?  I have ccleaner and PC pitstop optimize and AVG 8.5 free installed.  I did a clean install of XP last week, it had 2000 on it before. 

I bought a Pentium 4  2.66 CPU with a 513 bus speed but its not here yet, will that make much of a difference? The manual for the board says it will take the 2.66 CPU. Its a Intel D845GBV board. It has two 20 gig hard drives, I have My Documents on the slave drive.

Tom

EEVIAC

Re: XP sp3 runs slow,,
    « Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:58:58 AM »
    Is that the norm for sp3 to run a little slower than sp2 or is the CPU not fast enough to run decent?

There is no norm like that...  and the cpu you have is fine, you just need to do a little maintenance...

There's lots of things you can do to make your pc faster...

1.  Add more ram (your motherboard supports a maximum of 2 GB..)

2.  Uninstall programs you don't use

3.  defragment your hard drive

4.  make sure you computer is free of viruses....Go to the virus forum         here at CH and follow instructions for a virus cleansing  ;)

5. Click Start, click RUN, type  MSCONFIG, click OK, click on the "start up" tab, uncheck all/any programs that you do not want running when you turn on your computer, click "apply" , click "ok", restart the computer and all programs that you unchecked will not run when you turn on your computer...  It will help your computer boot faster and help the overall speed of the computer..

6. Use the "disk clean up" utility....Click START, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, "disk clean up".... 

7.  Keep the inside of your system clean...  use a can of compressed air every six months or so, as too much dust will contribute to overheating, cause your system to run slower, and ultimately cause it to shut down...Pay special attention to the heat sink on the motherboard (the shiny metal thing that sits on top of the processor on your motherboard with a fan sitting on top of it...make sure there is no dust built up inside it...

8.  Registry cleaners may help, although I used them and haven't noticed much of a difference in performance afterwards.... If you do use them, make sure you back up your registry, first...         

You did good by ordering a processor that better utilizes the Front Side Bus of your mboard..... Check the chipset configuration in the BIOS under the Advanced menu and make sure the ram speed is set at 266 as well, otherwise you ram is currently under clocked..
    « Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:34:31 AM by EEVIAC »

ImnoGuru

Adviser
    • The wonders of modern technology.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:07:24 AM »
      Hello 72GSX.
      Ive been told in the past that having ram sticks of different sizes, as is yours may actually be the cause of your computer running slower.
      To optimize your speed I would suggest that you get/install sticks of ram in pairs to make up the desired upper limit required.

I'm told that the computer may run at the slowest speed of the smallest RAM stick.

Something to consider at least.
      ImnoGuru.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:04:38 AM »
      It depends on the motherboard whether matching modules are required, and the manual for that board is unclear on the matter. Although in some boards it may be beneficial to install the higher-capacity module in slot 0, and the smaller module in slot 1.  The board also requires RAM with gold plated contacts...  If one of the modules is silver plated then it could cause instability..

As far as speed is concerned, if the bus is set up as synchronous, meaning that the FSB and RAM are running at the same speed, then the bios will configure the computer to use the module with the lower speed, if the speeds are different..

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »
      1) As a rule, the ram will run at the speed of the slower ram

2) Regarding EEVIAC's post above:
      Do not use msconfig to manage your startup items. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. There are any number of utilities made for this purpose - Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (free) being among the simplest and best

Do not use ANY registry cleaners - as a rule they do more harm than good

Uninstalling programs will not speed up your system

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
      Hi, I have this PC I just got going, it has XP home sp3 with all the updates. It has a Pentium 4 1800 CPU {400 bus speed}. It has one stick of 266 DDR at 256 and another of 512. It seems to run slower with the sp3 installed than it did with sp2.

Is that the norm for sp3 to run a little slower than sp2 or is the CPU not fast enough to run decent?  I have ccleaner and PC pitstop optimize and AVG 8.5 free installed.  I did a clean install of XP last week, it had 2000 on it before. 
      So, you just installed Windows XP on that computer for the first time last week and, in that short time, you've observed that it runs slower with SP3 than with SP2.  I'm a bit skeptical about the validity of your statement, based on the rather short time span involved here.  How long did you use Windows XP with SP2 before installing SP3?  Did you make any other changes about the same time you installed SP3?

With the very recent installation of Windows XP, your system should be clean. You might uninstall SP3 and observe it some more to either confirm or refute the notion that it runs slower with SP3. With your current hardware, it should run Windows XP well for web browsing, email, word processing, media player, etc.  And, as EEVIAC said, SP3 is typically not slower than SP2.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:23:34 AM »
      Now my turn for a rant. :)

I believe in having another good spare HDD around when things are not right.
      For XP a good 20 GB is OK for a test.
      I would start a new clean install with just on good HDD.
      Use only the most basic hardware. Your best Video car. Bur  avoid scanners printers and wireless, even wireless keyboard and mouse.
      After XP is up, Install the motherboard drivers
      Next the Video drivers.
      Do not install applications yet.
      Next do some benchmarks and write them down, or print them.
      Next install your favorite AV and run the benchmarks again.

The most frequent, IME, speed problem is with wrong drivers.
      Your AV programs slows you down until it does the first scan.
      Don't mix AV programs.

But a flaky HDD can really slow you down even more.

How fast you load video off the internet is not a good measure of speed.
      Use benchmarks, not casual observation.  8)

72GSX

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 12:51:29 PM »
        Maybe then the problem isn't sp3 over sp2.  I have run ccleaner registry and did not back up anything {like a dummie} so if it removed stuff it shouldn't have am I out of luck?

It just seems to take a little long when opening a desktop item or going to a on-line site, stuff like that.

EEVIAC

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »
        2) Regarding EEVIAC's post above:
        Do not use msconfig to manage your startup items. Msconfig is a diagnostic utility. There are any number of utilities made for this purpose - Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (free) being among the simplest and best

This is arguable... Why install more software when the Microsoft Configuration Utility will do the job?

Do not use ANY registry cleaners - as a rule they do more harm than good

With reluctant implications, I said that registry cleaners might help, and I also stressed backing up the registry... 

Uninstalling programs will not speed up your system

Maybe I overstated this a little....  However not having 15% of free disk space on the HDD will cause problems for the defragmentor, and not being able to use the defragmentor will definitely cause problems...

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
        This is arguable... Why install more software when the Microsoft Configuration Utility will do the job?

Because Startup CPL is tiny in size...uses no resources and provides more actual details.

Using msconfig to turn services on or off is just irresponsible...i can track down the MS KB article for you if you really need it...

With reluctant implications, I said that registry cleaners might help
        The reluctance and using the term "might" makes this one OK...

Kudos for your 3rd point...

patio.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

EEVIAC

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
        i can track down the MS KB article for you if you really need it...

When you get a chance, I'd appreciate that... 

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 12:11:08 PM by EEVIAC »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
        Can't find the link at the moment but while your waiting Here is some good reading material on services...why msconfig is a bad idea etc....

Kudos to the Master of services research...Black Viper.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:36:09 PM »
        Thanks, Patio. Must read. :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
        Anytime...Geek !

EEVIAC

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
        I don't see any options in Startup CPL to control services..   Only "start up" items..

Is there a version that works with Vista?