Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BFG NVIDIA FX 5500 Fan is having difficulty moving  (Read 5385 times)

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Think happy thoughts and have a nice day.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
BFG NVIDIA FX 5500 Fan is having difficulty moving
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »
Hi there everyone. I have a fairly old computer, and I just noticed this morning that it's graphics fan was not spinning. I have no idea how long it has been like this, but somehow it has managed to go along without frying its self. I was able to push it a little, (with the power on,) and it would start spinning, but no where near as fast as it should be spinning.

Anyways, I'm looking for a way to get this fan spinning again. I'd rather not have to buy a new fan/graphics card since this is an old computer anyways, (no need to put any money into it,) but if worse comes to worse, I guess I could. I think the best route would be to grease it. I've taken it out, and from my reearch, people say I should peel back sticker on it and apply some kind of grease to the tip of the rotating portion of the fan that you see under the sticker. I've got that planned out, but it's the exact kind of grease I should be using that I'm confused on. I have WD-40, 3 in 1 multipurpose grease, as well as some others, but what should I use?

If someone could name an exact brand and type of grease that I should use, that would be great.

And here are some specs:

Computer brand: Custom
Motherboard: Asus A7V8X-X
Graphics card info: NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 w/ 128MB of ram, I just replaced this card around a year and a half ago.

If anymore info is needed, by all means please ask for it.

Thanks!

~TGP1994

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: BFG NVIDIA FX 5500 Fan is having difficulty moving
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
Grease won't work, the bearings are sealed or probably worn out.  Should have lasted more than a year or two.  Is the graphics card out of warranty?  If yes, then get a replacement fan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=+40000576&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=-1&description=fans+and+heatsinks&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
Actually, I took a grease bottle meant for an old sewing machine in my house, and put a drop at the bottom of what looked like the rotating point of the fan. Now it's working perfectly. But thanks for your help :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »
That's good stuff, see how long it lasts spinning at 3000rpm.

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:42:03 PM »
Wait... are you saying it won't? I also have this 3in1 multipurpose thing, maybe that would work with this solution doesn't later on.

I am concerned though, I have downloaded SpeedFan, and it's reading 0 degrees C from my graphics card, (which I'm assuming means it isn't reading it at all,) and it's also reading an 86 degrees C for a temp 3 on my Asus A7V8X-X motherboard. Any ideas what Temp 3 is?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:57:35 AM »
Access your BIOS screens upon a restart and see whether any screen shows temperatures.  If it does, you may be able to correlate that with what SpeedFan shows. IOW, it may give you a clue to what Temp3 is.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:05:34 AM »
Wait... are you saying it won't? I also have this 3in1 multipurpose thing, maybe that would work with this solution doesn't later on...
Fan bearings are non-lubricated, oil is a temporary fix.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »
Remove the card and bring it with you to a PC store...
They'll probably be able to match up a replacement fan for about 5 to 8 Bucks...

PS. 3 in 1 oil has acid in it...not a good idea.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 09:26:49 AM »
This article, Quiet noisy computer fans with a drop of oil, recommends sewing machine oil.  The article also has a good description, with illustrations, of how to do it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
yes, Noisy fans that are otherwise working fine... not broken fans whose bearings are no longer lubricated properly :)

I had a fan fail with the a BFG 5500FX also. Not sure what happened, the fan itself was literally at an angle to the heatsink, and the fan wouldn't even go back on at all. I managed to unscrew the fan and install the fan from my PCI 6200FX... but I suppose I was lucky I had spares :).

At the same time however- I did use the card without major incident for a few months afterward, by underclocking the card to the standard, reference nvidia speed for the 5500FX (mine was factory OC'd), and everything worked fine for me (games, applications, etc) so I suspected a failed OC on the manufacturers part, until I went to replace the HD and found the condition of the fan.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

tgp1994

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
Ooh, I love logging in and seeing lots of replies, thanks for your input everyone :D

Ya, I checked out my BIOS screen, there doesn't seem to be any such temperature as a 3rd temperature. One thing that nags at me is the fact that SpeedFan wasn't detecting any temps for the GFX card, so could it be possible it was misdetecting it as temp 3? I am kind of disappointed that my BIOS doesn't have any kind of fan control either, my computer is noisy as heck. And it seems like the mobo versions after mine started comming with some kind of control. I have the latest, even beta bios, as well.

I'll make sure I avoid 3-in-1, thanks. Ya, maybe I could bring it into a store and get another graphics card fan, but then I have to consider things like; I've had this computer for years, should I just go for an upgraded card, or even an entirely new computer? Oh well, I'll cross that bridge once I get to it.

@soybean: I'm glad I chose the right thing, I can't image what would have happened if I got impatient like usual and went with something else :(

@BC_Programmer: Ya, like I said, I had to get a replacement awhile ago, b/c of the fan, but I kind of regret now that I didn't bother checking the fan and at least preserving the card a little bit longer. I love BFG, they just sent me an email saying I could still RMA this card. Props to them.