Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCSI isn't there  (Read 4430 times)

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

SCSI isn't there
    « on: October 17, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »
    OK, I read the page (s) on the SCSI thingamabob and it says that one opens the SCSI BIOS menu so you can get in there and fix it, problem is I don't know what it's supposed to be set to and I was wondering if someone here knows what the correct question is to put in the search window that will put me on the right page for the information I need. Thanks in advance

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: SCSI isn't there
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »
    What are you trying to do?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 02:09:20 AM »
      I found this thing in a mobile home we bought, I don't know what brand it is, it's old, it doesn't even have a USB port on it. OK, trying to boot it up it says it has no SCSI BIOS and no operating system. The information I found here explains how to open the BIOS CMOS menu but I have no idea on what those settings are supposed to be set at. What I am trying to do is to get this machine to a place where it will allow me to load the XP operating system into it. There is an option on the menu to set those settings to default I tried that and no luck.  I really am a novice at this stuff, so I appreciate any pointers ya'll can give me.

Smoker

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 02:44:30 AM »
        In slower times SCSI was popular (and expensive) because those devices ran faster than run of the mill hardware.

If you have no SCSI (pronounced scuzzy) devices I wouldn't worry about it and the default setting in the BIOS/CMOS should be fine or you could set it to Disabled.

Do you know the brand and model number of the motherboard? It should be written on it somewhere in the clear. That could give us a time frame estimate of what computer era you are trying to work in.

The machine could be so old that Windows XP won't install on it. You need hardware minimums that can be found on Microsoft's site.

If it has a CD drive put the Windows disk in and reboot. You might have to go into the BIOS and select the CD drive as the first boot device.

Make a backup copy of Windows XP. When a CD or DVD drive goes bad they can chomp your disk into splinters.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 02:47:19 AM »
        If it's that old I doubt it will run XP. Although you might be able to run a Linux distro on it. Does it have a CD drive?

It would really help us out if you could find out the brand and model. If there is no info on the case, you will have to open it up and look for the numbers on the motherboard. Make sure that you make contact with the metal frame the whole time you are working inside to avoid static electricity.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:32:15 AM »
          it's a gateway 2000
          mfg date 12/26/95
          P5-133 XL
          it has two CD drives and two floppy drives
          So I would imagine the original system was windows 95 though it was probably upgraded at sometime. One of the CD drives is an add on. I'll open up the tower a little later to look at things. Don't really know what I'm looking at in there though, this thing has no carburetor!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 02:02:07 PM »
          it's a gateway 2000
          mfg date 12/26/95
          P5-133 XL...
          Does not meet WinXP hardware requirements
          System requirements for Windows XP operating systems

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
            Thanks

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 03:26:42 PM »
              To Computercommando,
              started up this thing again, it's CPU is a 133 MHz Pentium it has 640K of Ram and 80896 of extended RAM whatever that means, I am assuming it means that the total RAM is a little over 81 MGB. Actually I'm gonna throw this thing away after I scavenge the CD drives out of it. Windows 98 isn't compatible with my ISP (or so they told me)
              OK I read yer post and saw that you now know everything about my laptop (which I never even spoke on) please, I mean please please, don't destroy my laptop with some kind of control freak virus thing just because ya can, this thing is something I cannot replace and it's obsolete by today's standards. I acknowledge your superiority in all things computer driven.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »
              OK I read yer post and saw that you now know everything about my laptop (which I never even spoke on) please, I mean please please, don't destroy my laptop with some kind of control freak virus thing just because ya can, this thing is something I cannot replace and it's obsolete by today's standards. I acknowledge your superiority in all things computer driven.

WHAT ? ?

We're here to assist...we wouldn't last very long if in fact we did whatever you are accusing us of.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
                I wasn't accusing anybody of anything I promise that. I am showing love and respect that's all, I probably should have worded it different.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 04:16:28 PM »

WHAT ? ?

We're here to assist...we wouldn't last very long if in fact we did whatever you are accusing us of.
                The Danasoft sig freaks the newb's out.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
                « Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:25:10 PM »
                ...CPU is a 133 MHz Pentium it has 640K of Ram and 80896 of extended RAM whatever that means, I am assuming it means that the total RAM is a little over 81 MGB. Actually I'm gonna throw this thing away after I scavenge the CD drives out of it. Windows 98 isn't compatible with my ISP (or so they told me)...
                1MB= 1024kB * 80= 81920kB RAM
                640kB + 384kB + 80896kB = 81920kB

Windows 98 isn't compatible with my ISP. Nonsense.

benton1964

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
                  thats what they told me wether or not it's true I have no clue but I had a 98 that somebody had given me and I called up their tech support to walk me through the connecting and they told me they don't support 98, 95 or anything older than windows 2000 for that matter