Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Virus in Windows XP  (Read 3078 times)

Myron

Virus in Windows XP
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
I think I  have a computer virus in my PC. Suddenly, a window keeps appearing "Windows Security Alert" that my computer is infected in the lower-right of the screen. Then, in the address window appears: http://os-guardpro.com/purchase?r=57.0. What's going on? This prevents me from using my PC. Is this a virus? How can I get rid of it?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Virus in Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
With all the questions and issues you've had with your new pc, did you not install an anti virus utility? If not, install one now (get Avira, Avast, Bit Defender or AVG free if you don't want to buy one). After installing it, run a scan on your system. Then download and run a scan with MalwareBytes.

Myron

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »
I have installed Avira AntiVir Personal Edition Class on my Windows XP. A red umbrella appears each time I turn-on the PC to advise me that I am protected. Now, since I tried going to a certain site, no matter what I type-in, I go directly to http://os-guardpro.com/purchase?r=57.0.  I also keep getting a pop-up message in the lower right-hand corner saying :"Windows Security Alert: Computer is infected". The message keeps re-appearing every 20 seconds. What can I do about this? Why wasn't my PC protected? Is my anti-virus ineffective? What is my solution? Thanks. Is it possible that the Avira Anti Vir Personal Edition Classic" has expired and should be removed? I don't know when it was installed as I got the PC from my friend.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:56:03 AM by Myron »

Myron

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »
After removing the old spyware system which may have expired and installing a new one, how do I do a scan to see if I am protected? This is very confusing. I'm sorry I ever got a PC.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:06:46 AM »
AV's don't expire, but you need to make sure they are configured to download definitions on a regular basis. Also, download Malware Bytes and run a full system scan with that (Avira and MalwareBytes are NOT interchangeable - always keep Avira - or whatever anti-virus utility you choose - running).

Myron

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »
You lost me with this post. How to make sure AV's are configured? I already have Avira on my PC so should I still download MalwareBytes too?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:34 AM »