Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hardware problems with fan always on  (Read 3712 times)

Heywogr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

hardware problems with fan always on
    « on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »
    Hi,

I posted a log in Computer Hardware Forum, and was suggested I might have malware, so have carried out the tests and scans recommended by evilfantasy, and would like some advice.

I am still experiencing the fan on almost continously.

Logs attached:
    SuperAntispyware
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    HijackThis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREVIOUS POST October 15, 2009, 12:43:59 PM
    Yesterday I started experiencing my laptop display blanking, then received a display driver error in notification menu. Unfortunately, the only bit of the error I got was "display driver nvl.." or something.

I rebooted, Windows didn't start properly, then ran "Startup Repair" (a Vista autmated scan? not sure) which concluded "unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem" and recommended restoring to a System Restore point, which I click OK to.

Got to desktop ok, but the same error happened again re display driver (sorry, I didn't think to write it down).

I also at this point got another diagnosis application from Vista giving me errors with the Display driver, the specifics for the info on this are:

-----------------------------------
    Product
    Windows

Problem
    Video hardware error

Date
    14/10/2009 20:13

Status
    Not Reported

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name:   LiveKernelEvent
    OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID:   2057

Files that help describe the problem
    WD-20091014-2012.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode:   117
    BCP1:   84D1A3E8
    BCP2:   8BA07350
    BCP3:   00000000
    BCP4:   00000000
    OS Version:   6_0_6001
    Service Pack:   1_0
    Product:   256_1
    ----------------------------------------------

I have copies of the other "files wthat help describe the problem", although I can't open the .dmp file.

Other things I then tried:
    In Device Manager, I checked the Display adaptor, it was showing as working correctly. The driver files were showing from 2007. I clicked "update Driver" (Display Adaptor: NVIDIA GeForce 8400N GS), Windows searched for a driver for a while and began install.

But the screen then crashed: grey colour with vertical lines. Also the fan started going on for 4 seconds, off for 4 seconds, on and off like that. I forced a reboot but really from then on I could'nt see anything on the screen.

Thinking it might be just the display affected, and the normal boot up might be visible 'underneath' it, I pressed F8, then Enter, hoping to start a Safe Boot. The screen did change slightly, I think maybe it did something. But I still couldn't see anything so I just shut down.

I left it overnight to today, and switching on I could reboot, it ran the Startup Repair, again suggesting a System Restore. This time I didn't accept. It kept scanning with "attempting repair" I think, then rebooted itself and I could log on to Windows. However, now the fan is on continuously, although I can log on and apparently use everything ok.

Note on checking the Display Adaptor driver now, it is:Date: 03/09/2008.

Current System information on Monitor is attached in Word Doc "System Information - Monitor.doc"

I am not sure what to do next. I am not aware of a "scan" I can do to check for problems. I am fairly
    computer literate, working in IT support, although not the strongest on hardware faults.

-----------------------
    System information:
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
    Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: XPS M1330
    System Type: X86-based PC
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T8100 @ 2.10GHz
    BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc A09, 03/02/2008
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

-----------------------

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Heywogr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     PREVIOUS POST October 17, 2009, 10:23:08 AM
    Hi, does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to solve this?

I've done an MBAM (Malwarebytes' AntiMalware) and it picked up a Win32/Cryptor and a Trojan.TDSS, and seemed to clear ok.

When I start in Safe Mode with Networking, it starts ok, everything seems fine. When I start normally, the fan just goes continuously or on/off. Does that mean it's a driver/service issue, or a virus?

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

harry 48

Egghead

• lay back , relax and chill out
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Dribbling Pensioner
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: hardware problems with fan always on
    « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
    it looks like you have a few problems and i think a keylogger has got into your pc

wait for an expert to help you , harry

Heywogr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:37:52 AM »
      Hi,

Sorry, I know there a thing about not bumping up your thread to have it looked at, but it's been over 5 weeks since I posted asking for help. I realise people are busy and do this voluntarily etc but if it's not going to be answered for weeks on end or even commented on that it's in a queue, it just gets annoying. What's the point of supporting or offering support, you might as well just say "don't post any requests for help for the time being until we have cleared our backlog" or something.

If no-one's going to look and and provide any assistance for the keylogger or any other issues I might have, I'll just close this post down in resignation in a few days.

Heywogr

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
        Closing this topic as mentioned above. A wee bit disappointed...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
        Nobody understands why you think a fan always on is a software problem.
        Which fan? My old PC has two fans that are always on.
        So some hardware experts told you you have malware?
        How do you prove that?
        I have been working with PC hardware for years ...
        and have yet to get a fan infected with Mallarme!

And if I were to write an evil hack to corrupt somebody's fan, which I would not, but if I did...
        I would make it turn the fan OFF!

The problem is your post is hard to believe...
        unless you can provide m,ore detail.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:44:55 PM »
        Sounds like hardware failure to me, really.

I don't see anything that could be a keylogger in the logs; they look pretty clean to me.

I had similar issues with a Radeon 7000VE; screen would get a bunch of yellow lines all over in 3d modes and unless I quit right away I'd be unable to see at the desktop either; then the whole thing would seize up. also got a few BSOD errors from it.

used a different video card, and the problems went away.

Since this is a laptop, that's not an option. Only sure-fire test to see if it's really software related is to perform a complete reinstall, and if the problem persists, it's probably a hardware issue.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 03:47:16 PM »
        Sounds like hardware failure to me, really.

I don't see anything that could be a keylogger in the logs; they look pretty clean to me.

I had similar issues with a Radeon 7000VE; screen would get a bunch of yellow lines all over in 3d modes and unless I quit right away I'd be unable to see at the desktop either; then the whole thing would seize up. also got a few BSOD errors from it.

used a different video card, and the problems went away.

Since this is a laptop, that's not an option. Only sure-fire test to see if it's really software related is to perform a complete reinstall, and if the problem persists, it's probably a hardware issue.
        One  of the times I have to agree with yo, BC.