Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Explorer not opening  (Read 2647 times)

troyboi

Windows Explorer not opening
« on: October 12, 2009, 06:21:53 PM »
For the past couple days I have not been able to open any explorer windows. For example if I open up my documents the window appears and I can see my desktop through the window but takes up to a half hour to actually open. Then If I click on something the little circle appears as if its loading to open it and sometimes it will open after a fifteen min. and other times it will not open at all.
 I have ran 4 different trojan virus etc. software and came up with a nothing. It said my system is clean and I have no idea what to do. If I go to the start menu to do a system restore in my accessories a little magnifying glass just sits on the side of the option and does not allow me to open anything. I opened everything in safe mode to do a system restore but it said the only restore point was from yesterday...I feel like going mad.  ???

All of my photos and files from 3 years are on my PC and I am fearful to lose them. My internet seems to be working as usual as are programs. I feel at a loss and am trying to move my valuables onto my external hard drive but again the windows are not even opening for me to do so. PLEASE HELP. I don't have a clue what do do next..... thanks in advance

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Windows Explorer not opening
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:20 PM »
I have ran 4 different trojan virus etc. software and came up with a nothing

What antivirus programs are you running?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:51:19 AM »
What led up to this (new sw, hw, virus, etc)? These thing don't just happen spontaneously

infamoustrouble

Starter

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 03:39:49 AM »
    What led up to this (new sw, hw, virus, etc)? These thing don't just happen spontaneously
    i just bought my laptop used and it came with all sorts of problems..this being one of them...so i dont know what started it...?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:50:32 AM »
    Okay sorry, missed that. You're going to want to reformat and reinstall the OS at some point, but I understand you first want to get your data files off the drive. If they are not on the system partition it's easy, but if they are you need to either slave the hd to access and copy the files or you can do a parallel install of the OS (install a second instance of the OS on the same partition) and access the files from there. After that's done, reformat and reinstall.