Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is there any way of "disabling" an attached laptop keyboard?  (Read 2347 times)

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

Is there any way of "disabling" an attached laptop keyboard?
    « on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
    Hi there,

My laptop keyboard recently went crazy and decided to mess up and not work, so I bought a cheap \wireless keyboard which I now use as a replacement - which is placed on top of the attached keyboard.

However, recently the keyboard as started pressing random keys repeatedly (eg. ////////////////////////) and the only way I fix this is to bash the keys on the keyboard, and then it goes away.

I've tried deleting the drivers from the C: drive but I can't do this, it says I need permissions even though I'm an administrator.

Is there any way I could stop the keyboard from being re\co\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\k7
    m\'njh1'vg\bf\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\NJK7\H1 G\F

^ there is a fine example where it happened in the middle of this post...

...from being recognized by the laptop?

It is a Samsung R510 running Windows Vista.

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is there any way of "disabling" an attached laptop keyboard?
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
    The simple answer is to not put the wireless on top of the bad keyboard. Move it about three feet away and try it.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »
    Or 3 inches. Just not on top of the laptop!

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
      Haha, never thought the repeated key strokes could be the keyboard pressing against the keyboard...

however, if this doesn't work and to save me creating another thread, how would I disabled the keyboard?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
      Laptop keyboard can be disconnected, but it's not for those with little or no manual dexterity.

h00giz

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:34:17 AM »
        If you're referring to my early problem, that wasn't me and that fixed itself and the laptop now boots perfectly.

On topic:

I've been using my wireless keyboard not on top of my keyboard on my laptop.. and I'm stilling getting the repeated key strokes. So, if you could be so kind as to tell me how to disconnect a keyboard I'd be most grateful.

I've built computers before and I've replaced the RAM is this one, so I think I can trust myself not to break it. :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:38:59 AM »
        There appears to be no support for the R510 laptop on Samsung's website.  You're on your own to figure out how to take it apart and remove the cable that connects the keyboard to the motherboard.