Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making progress  (Read 2417 times)

mmof3bys

Making progress
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:01:01 AM »
I have been battling my computer most of the week. Again mine is a WinXP System, and was restarting on its own constantly.

I tried a different power supply yesterday, Not the problem.  It did the same thing it did with its own PS.

So, I tried wiping the HD and just re-installing WinXP.  I would get so far a couple of times and it would just do it's same re-starting or "blue" screen after I turned off the auto-re-start.  

I finally chose the quick format versus the full one I guess and I got thru the complete process.  Was able to get online last night and everything for about 45 minutes with no interruptions.

The computer is lagging now, or it seems like it's dragging or is that my ISP connection?  Not sure at this point and wondering what I should do now?

My neighbor gave me a disk (floppy) that is a HD eraser, should I use it and have the WinXp properly format the HD instead of the quick way that I chose

OR just let the WinXp CD do it again but choose the other (not quick) and see if there's a difference?

Or is there another suggestion?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Raptor

Re: Making progress
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:03:29 AM »
You should use the Windows XP CD to fully format the Hard Disk Drive.

merlin_2

Re: Making progress
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 11:55:42 AM »
unless you can trust your neighbour.......never load any floppy disks.??.....the winxp will do it all......i suggest you run a spyware scan//and anti-virus scan......download adaware and run it......and use disk clean up.......
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 11:56:28 AM by merlin_2 »