Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Removing Heat sink from chip  (Read 2416 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Removing Heat sink from chip
    « on: June 16, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »
    Can anyone tell how to remove the heat sink from the chip without damage to the chip, When I have tried to do this the chip comes away with the heat ssink and in one case bent the pins. Thanks
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

merlin_2

Re: Removing Heat sink from chip
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:59:15 PM »
    undo the metal straps that hold it. the cpu fan will come with it.....and maybe the cpu.......lift it upright......the cpu should not come with....unless *the side straps *are damaged.....*plastic clips..*...>>infohttp://www.7volts.com/silversink.htm
    « Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:08:02 PM by merlin_2 »

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
      « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »
      When I lift the heat sink off the chip comes with it did try to lift it straight up but some of the outer pins got bent
      Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 03:14:17 PM »
      are the straps damaged.......these hold the cpu in place on the board?you could if you are careful use a razor blade to separate the paste from the heatsink .....to...the cpu ......oer leave the heatsinl attacch to the cpu.....just buy another heatsink.....this maybe better if installing a new cpu ?/
      « Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:21:39 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 06:22:19 AM »
      Can anyone tell how to remove the heat sink from the chip without damage to the chip, When I have tried to do this the chip comes away with the heat ssink and in one case bent the pins. Thanks

What socket are you referring to?