Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can't pinpoint what's wrong with my computer.  (Read 3754 times)

Chrono

can't pinpoint what's wrong with my computer.
« on: June 17, 2005, 06:24:46 AM »
I have an e-machines T2865

Well my computer is on the fritz. Let's start from the beginning. There were times when the old "blue screen of death" would pop up. It did it quite a bit. But it only usually happened when typing something. It also usually only happened while online. So I thought it was a bug but after trying various virus and trojan programs I found nothing. i asked someone online about it and they suggested it was a hardware problem. Most likely dust and dirt clogging everything up. Being a stupid moron, I didn't bother to clean it (too lazy. Stupid excuse isn't it?). It did this for some time. i'd restart and the computer would be fine until sometime later it'd pop up again.

Anyway, to my current problem, it recently started shutting down by itself. First the ccapp or whatever would stop responding. I think that's a norton antivirus program or something. Then afterwards it'd just shut down. i tried starting it up but it didn't at first. After about 20 minutes it'd start up and go into my account only to shut down just like before. Now it won't start at all. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. it started... but nothing showed up on the monitor. After shutting it down again, the worst happened. Now whenever I plug it in, it seems to start up (without pushing a button) and the yellow blinking light stays on. The blue light that usually is on around the power button doesn't light up even though it seems like it's on. Just recently, I cleaned it out and there was a crap load of dust in there. it still didn't help the current problem. I suppose I'm too late?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Raptor

Re: can't pinpoint what's wrong with my computer.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 06:33:12 AM »
Have you removed excessive dust?

Chrono

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:10:50 PM »
Yeah. I used a can of compressed air and it did the trick. There was a massive amount of dust in there. It's all cleaned out now but it still won't work.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2005, 12:12:41 PM »
Perhaps overheating has caused system components to become damaged beyond repair. I suggest you inspect the system case for signs of burned components.

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2005, 01:42:02 PM »
boot in into safe mode f8 key.........disconnect from the net........well does it......if so you may have this
msblaster/sasser worm......>>http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=desktop&subcat=T-Series&model=T2865  the bsod .....have you added a new keyboard mouse??

Chrono

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 06:22:47 PM »
I can't even turn it on. It just comes on by itself and that yellow light stays on whenever I plug it in. Nothing comes up on the monitor. I push the button and nothing happens. I'll try unplugging the phone cord and holding F8 when i plug it in but I don't think that will work. But thanks for the help anyways. Any more would be greatly appreciated.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 06:28:45 PM »
Have you checked the board......<as raptor suggested>like the capsitors///leaning over....burnt marks on pcb....or tracking....held up to the light reveals this..<eyeline marks leading to caps/cons/trans etc> do you have another hard drive you can  bung in.......to see if it boots......to win....overheating.....?amd?+dust...we will see.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 06:31:18 PM by merlin_2 »

herrtod

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 08:29:21 PM »
I am sorta having the same problem. When i press the power botton it does not come on at all no BIOS no nothing but last night it did come on after awile it was like 30min or something. The mother board power light is on and i have checked the board for any visable problems and i found none. i sorta had the same problem when i first put it together but it would come on after 10 or 20 seconds. At first i thought it was the cpu because it was pretty hot in my room and the computer was on. so i checked the cpu and therewas no burnmarks and the heatsync gel wasn't dry and flaky. so i too would like some suggestions
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 08:30:38 PM by herrtod »