Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can`t get vista public folder to show on XP but is in network folder on vista  (Read 2493 times)

windowshell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have the public folder showing in my vista network folder, as shared, but it doesnt show up in the XP network folder on my xp. the other folders from my vista C drive do show in my xp network folder.

I was able to set those vista C drive folders to share with xp by right clicking each folder in vista individually, choosing share... from the right click menu, then from the "choose people to share with" dialogue box dropdown I chose "everyone' and from there the folder appears inside the XP network tab and its files are accessible..

But I cannot select the public folder on vista to do this, it won`t let me.. yet the public folder shows in the vista shared network folder, but not in the xp shared network folder, I have restarted the computers and tried to see it then but no result.

when I click the public folder and select sharing settings on the control bar above I get these settings captured here http://screencast.com/t/Y2Q2Zjhm

I am using xp pro service pack 3 on a dell vostro, and Vista service pack1 home premium edition ??? :-[ any help would be fantastic ...

[Saving space, attachment deleted by admin]

windowshell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

is there a reason no one is helping me here??  ??? :-\

wbrost

Intermediate
        have you checked to see if the public folders are showing up in the share and storage management?

start
        admin tools
        share and storage management

windowshell

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

do you mean on xp or vista? I can`t follow that file path, but I found the public folder of vista inside XP now,
          it was different prior to me doing a full re install of the software and upgrade to service pack 3, it is now under mynetworkplaces/microsoftwindowsnetwork/workgroup/(name of my workgroup), and I could also network the printer here too which is great,

still worried about my other question though posted prior to this one on the internet gateway, not sure if that is just my internet access or whether I have opened up a port for hackers.. firewall is on anyway..

thankyou for your help!