Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: question about laptop computer screen  (Read 2002 times)

haus_kat

question about laptop computer screen
« on: October 12, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
I hope I put this question in the right forum.

I just need some help with a small issue. I have a Dell Inspiron laptop computer. When I unplug the AC adapter and just run it from battery power alone the screen automatically gets very bright the second that the ac cord is unplugged. As soon as I plug the ac cord back in it gets dim again. I'd just like to use the computer on AC power without this change in brightness but I'm not sure why that happens. It seems like some automatic setting. It would make more sense if the screen was brighter on ac adapter, as if this was some power-saving setting that would useful when you're running the computer from the battery alone, but it seems to be backwards.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: question about laptop computer screen
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 12:08:47 PM »
Perhaps you have the brighness turned down? With the power adapter plugged in, check to make sure brightness is not turned down.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 12:58:20 PM »
...I'd just like to use the computer on AC power without this change in brightness but I'm not sure why that happens. It seems like some automatic setting. It would make more sense if the screen was brighter on ac adapter, as if this was some power-saving setting that would useful when you're running the computer from the battery alone, but it seems to be backwards.
You are correct, it's a power saving setting when on battery, but it does seem to be the reverse of the newer Dell laptops I have seen:  screen bright on AC, screen dim on battery.

haus_kat

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
How do I change it so that it's bright on ac power also?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert

haus_kat

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »
I checked this link but I still can't find the information to change this setting. My computer has Windows 2000 (though that is not the software that was original to the computer) and is an older model of Dell (Inspiron 4150). I checked in the power setting section but there is no option to select about the monitor brightness (only an option for turning off the monitor or hard disks or going into standby after set periods of time).

It's annoying that the power settings are reversed. I don't want to waste the battery but unplugging the ac cord is the only way to get the monitor bright enough to do any work. It dims the second you plug the cord back in, making the computer just about un-usable for working.

rajunalla

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »
please plugins the ac adapter and change your display settings  and disconnect the ac power your display was dim these is the baterry problem