Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RUnning a game that is very old  (Read 19989 times)

Jessica Benskey

RUnning a game that is very old
« on: May 01, 2004, 11:42:05 AM »
I recently purchased a Kings Quest V game that was made in 1991. I have Windows XP, and I was wondering if there is anyhting out there that can make the game play on my computer. I put it in the CD rom and it doesn't even start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

merlin

Re: RUnning a game that is very old
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 12:20:46 PM »
. Did you use the compatability tab?

JesHot5

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 12:29:02 PM »
I don't even know what that is! Where do I find it?

dando

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 04:42:58 AM »
right click on the file that will run the game,
then go to the compatability tab[look in the window,u will find it]
then check the "Run this program in compatability mode for..."
then choose win 95,if that doesnt work try the other Opertion system's,if even this wont work im clueless:)

JesHot5

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 11:00:41 AM »
Alright I understand how to do that, but I don't know where to find the file that will run the program. When I put the CD in nothing happens, and I don't know where to find the game. Where do I look to find the file? Sorry, I am not very good with computers :-/

JesHot5

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 11:02:49 AM »
Also what does Runtime Error 91 mean?

JesHot5

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 11:24:44 AM »
I just wanted to say I got the game running, but the sound won't work. Any suggestions?

merlin

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 01:00:20 PM »
Open Internet Explorer - click Tools - Internet Options - Advanced. Make sure Disable script debugging is ticked and Display a notification about every script error is unticked then Apply and OK your way out  relates to runtime errors. to test sound type dxdiag in the run box

JesHot5

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 01:09:24 PM »
My sound works fine, but when I run the game it says "unable to initialize audio hardware" I dont know what that means

merlin

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 01:13:55 PM »
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 01:24:48 PM by merlin »

JesHot5

Re: Running a game that is very old
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 01:50:41 PM »
Thanks so much for your help, but when I do the compatability one it only lets me go back to indows 95, and the game says Windows 3.0 Does that mean I will never get it to work. It says it installs it on Win 95, but then when I select it an error message comes up that says "PANIC: Insufficient Local Memory: 36966." Do you have any idea what that means. Am I screwed? Cause I really want this game to work, I mean it plays, but there is no sound, and only on the game. The sound plays everywhere else. And when the game does play it seems to be playing fine, with the grapichs and all. I just don't get it!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 01:51:10 PM by JesHot5 »

merlin

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 02:10:34 PM »

JesHot5

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 02:49:17 PM »
I hope I am not annoying you too much with all these questions. ALright so I downloaded the sound thing, and now the game just bleeps all the time, there is still no talking and it still says the same thing, "unable to initialize audio hardware" but the sound thing I downloaded said it works with this game so I don't understand why it still has no sound. I keep reading this stuff about the computer being to fast, could that be the problem?  ???

JesHot5

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2004, 03:02:56 PM »
So I have sound now, but still no talking. COuld it be the game? Or is there any way you know of to get talking to happen?

merlin

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 01:14:46 AM »
its winxp thats the problem it sometimes has problems with older games this is due to m$soft cornering the market and hoping people will buy their games either search for a cheapo machine that will play your old games or you could buy a hard drive with an old operating system on it win 3.0 and have it as a slave with your winxp sorry cant be much help with the game problem but thats life old verses the new?or burn the game disc and play it on a playstation?or try this i am not sure if it will work>http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4152.html
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 01:20:07 AM by merlin »