Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Logon to DSL using Vists/Mozilla Problem, H.D.D. activity lite and modem active  (Read 2595 times)

Lynn Blakely

Topic Starter

Starter

This problem is intermittent to some degree. After booting to desktop, and clicking the Mozilla icon to log-on to home page it will say not found. Sometimes it will log on with no
    problem. The hard drive activity lite is flashing and the activity lite on the modem like something is being downloaded. I have a program called game booster which is allowing me to shutdown a lot of stuff that runs in the background. That seems to help with the log on problem some of the time.
    My computer is an Acer AM1100-B1410A, AMD BE-2350 dual-core 2.1MHz, 2Mg ram, 320 GB H.D.D. Windows Vista Home Premium, Mozilla 3.0.15
    I have stopped windows upgrades to the extent that it notifies me when one is available. I am sure that other upgrades are taking place when they want to and I don't know how to find which ones are the culprits. I do have AVG Internet Security 8.5.425
    That has 11 features, anti-everything imaginable. I am not an expert on Windows, but I have built computer from parts, and installed the drivers from floppies, and Cd's in the past. I will appreciate any and all help. BTW I found this site mention in Readers
    Digest yesterday at the eye doctor's waiting room. Thanks for reading Lynn

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    With Windows Updates set it to notify of new updates only...
    In AVG Control Panel you can schedule both the updates and a daily scan...i have mine set for 4 and 5AM respectively...which means it updates 1st...then scans.
    And i'm usually asleep.

That or you could spend an afternoon getting caught up on all Windows updates...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lynn Blakely

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for the quick and relevant reply. I happened to check in the AVG User Interface
      this morning and discovered it was indeed scanning, and trying to update. So I will do
      as you suggested, schedule them to update and scan while I am asleep.
      There is just one other issue and that is I have to reset the SpeedStream modem quite
      frequently.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Do you have DSL filters on all the phone lines in the house ? ?
      Who is the provider and has it been this way long ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lynn Blakely

Topic Starter

Starter

Yes I have filters on all the phone jacks. The provider is ATT. It has been this way since
        I got this new ACER computer with Vista on it. I had a HP computer with XP on it and it
        worked ok. I am having a problem setting the updates on AVG to work during the night.
        I just upgraded to AVG 9.0 this evening. It is supposed to work in low power mode but
        it hasn't worked for me. This computer is about 1 and a half yrs old. It was new and it
        was when Vista had been out a year if memory serves me. So I guess Vista has been
        out about three years now, correct. Time flies so I am not as sure as some that know.
        Thanks for the follow up. Lynn B.
        Notice I consider this scenario solved. I have been manually updating AVG when I boot
        the computer. It is working great with no more problems. Thanks to "Patio" 
        « Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:15:50 PM by Lynn Blakely »