Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer froze, now won't start.  (Read 4875 times)

SDtraveler

Computer froze, now won't start.
« on: June 18, 2005, 11:58:13 AM »
I moved an older (about 5 years) computer from one room in the house to another.  It hooked up ok and ran fine.  It is connected to a laptop via a wireless router.  I checked the laptop to make sure it still got the internet.  Both computers were now working fine.

Within the hour I noticed that the old computer was frozen.  It wouln't shut down so I hit ctrl-alt-del twice to get it to reboot.

Now the old computer tries to start up on but after about a second it is almost like a "ghost" (yeah, I know) presses the reset button.  No screen info is ever shown, no beeps come from the computer like when it used to start up.

The computer was put together by a family friend, its running WIN98 SE and has a AMD processor if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help/ideas in advance.

-SDtraveler

merlin_2

Re: Computer froze, now won't start.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 12:01:53 PM »
disconnect the usb router........does it boot now....

SDtraveler

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:14:24 PM »
Router disconnected....still doesnt work.

It wasn't a USB connection if that makes a diiference, it was a network cable.

The set up goes like this:

cable line --> cable modem --> wireless router --> broken computer

I've tried disconnecting everything from the computer, including keyboard, mouse, printer, and monitor.  Still having same problem.

Internet still working on the laptop via wireless connection even though the broken computer is currently unplugged.

-Cheers

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 12:17:25 PM »
power supply unit kaput?......check the mains plug//fuses...and extension lead if applicable....

SDtraveler

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 12:55:36 PM »
I don't know exactly what I am looking for but connections seem clean and solid.

An inteseting clue came up though, when I pulled the supply to the hard drive I decided turn the computer on.  The computer stayed on this time, checked the cd and the floppy drive, and sat there (Im assuming cause the hard drive has the start up files)  No info ever came on the screen.

Mac

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:53:40 AM »
I would take a look inside the cabinet and re-seat your cards and RAM modules. Last time I moved a computer from one room to another the sound card fell out of its slot due to there being no retaining screw.

RAM Knowledge Base
RAM And What it Does
RAM Virtual Memory Paging
RAM Reseating & Fitting PDF File

Processor Temperatures
Power Supply Wattage Calculator
Everest Home Edition Computer Diagnostic Program

CCLeaner File Cleaner
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 10:54:57 AM by Mac »

SDtraveler

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »
I just pushed herd on all the cards & connections and somehow It fixed itself.  Thanks to both of you for all your help.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »
Traveler:

Good suggestions by Merlin and Mac as always.  

One thing i like to do in situations like this is use the process of elimination.  To rule out the network configuration or hardware as the cause of the problem, power off the old computer, disconnect the it from the router, and power it up.  Use it for some time to see if it locks up, still.  If it does, the network connection is not the cause and we need to tell you what to do next to determine what is the cause.  If it doesn't lock up, then the network software or hardware may be the culprit.

Let us know how it goes so we may tell you what to do next.

Regards,
Doc

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 02:38:10 PM »
Oops!  Looks like i spoke too soon.  Glad to see you got it fixed.  :D

Mac

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 11:56:59 PM »
I just pushed herd on all the cards & connections and somehow It fixed itself.  Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. If you have a problem later, take the cards out of the mainboard one by one and put them back in again. Just this action alone can clean up the electrical contact face between the connectors on the card and those in the slots on the mainboard.

Just be careful to take proper anti-static precautions. Just unplug all mains power and, holding the metal cabinet with the left hand press the power button in and hold it down for a few seconds. You can sometimes hear the static charge across the board dissipate.

Then it should be safe to handle components.