Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W7 has 2 program files folders  (Read 4627 times)

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    W7 has 2 program files folders
    « on: November 10, 2009, 10:29:57 AM »
    1 is only called Program files and other is called Program files (x86)......when I install a network adapter-driver it goes to the one with the (x86), why and what is the difference....I have W7 Ultimate x64

Specs: AMD Athlon 64, 2.02Ghz, 3200+, 3Gb RAM, both W7 and XP on C:\ in own partitions... ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: W7 has 2 program files folders
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
    the Program files (x86) is where 32-bit applications are stored. 64-bit windows has a lot of funky redirects to make sure stuff still works.

For example- "C:\windows\system32"- when that folder is accessed by a 32-bit program, windows silently accesses C:\windows\SysWow64 instead. the "real" C:\windows\system32 actually contains 64 bit dlls and executables. (I know, it's weird).

same with C:\program files, except the redirection isn't quite so blatant: x64 programs get "C:\program files" as the environment variable, x86 programs get "C:\program files (x86)".

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:28 AM »
      cool, yes it sounds weird, but hey its Microsoft...hahahahahahaha....but it works great...thanks for the good explanation

Peterwolfe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:53:10 AM »
        well, the only thing that is a real bugger, is the fact tha my old drivers do not work anymore, they are 32 bits and not 64 bits and W7 really let you know!!!!!! ::) fortunately the producers did realize that and I have found them all, quite fresh as well as f.i. 031109....lol (for americans: 110309)

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »
        Yes, it's not a secret. You MUST use 64 bit drivers for a 64 bit OS ;)