Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Defragmentation of XP Home  (Read 2647 times)

ojas25

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    Defragmentation of XP Home
    « on: June 18, 2005, 03:36:28 PM »
    I have defraged my Home XP a number to times in one day and the result is this <This volumn is moderately fragmented with 59% of the total volumn space available for deframentation> my question is why won't it defrag fully and how do I get it to.  Thanks
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Defragmentation of XP Home
      « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 03:51:33 PM »
      Try defragging in safe mode.

Mac

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 10:49:02 AM »
      Even though you are using XP Home, try the 30-day evaluation copy of Diskeeper 9 PROFESSIONAL, and see if the included Frag-Shield program finds anything wrong with the Master File Tables.

Also delete the entire contents of the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder and try running defrag again.

Use CCLeaner and EmpTemp to clean up your Hard-Drive.

"Run Disk Cleanup and remove all but the last restore point. See if your System Restore cache and Recycle Bin size is set at a reasonable level (Say 1024Mb) on each drive, and reduce the IE Temporary Internet Files cache and History cache to the minimum. Install CCLeaner and clean out all of the junk files. Unhide all files and folders and remove the hotfix uninstallers ( $NTUninstaller$ ) from the hidden C:\Windows folder and remove their entries from Add-Remove programs. Then remove the contents of:

The C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations folder
      The C: WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
      The C:\WINDOWS\Temp folder
      The C:\Windows\pchealth\Datacoll folder, and...
      The C:\Windows\Prefetch folder.

(You can add these folders to EmpTemp if you have this program installed.) Then run chkdsk and defrag."

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 02:12:35 PM »
      ojas:

You likely have some processes, services or applications running in the background that are keeping the disk defragmenter from finishing the job.

If FED's suggestion doesn't do it, try starting Windows XP in diagnostic mode:

1. Click Start > Run...
      2. In the Run... text box, type msconfig and click OK.
      3. In the System Configuration utility, choose Diagnostic Startup and click OK.
      4. Restart Windows in Safe Mode and attempt to run disk defragmenter once again.

Let us know if that doesn't cure it.

Regards,
      Doc