Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: String formula in Excel 2003  (Read 2654 times)

AndyVenter

Topic Starter

String formula in Excel 2003
    « on: December 19, 2009, 01:22:48 AM »
    Hi
    My Op syst is Win Xp and Office 2003
    I need help with the following cenario

To test a a cell and return a value if true by using IF, ELSE statements is LIMITING TO 7 IF,ELSE STATEMENTS and values tested can be either numerical and/or text, ie. If(A6="LHR"),"HEATHROW",IF?(A6="ATL"),"ATLANTA",IF ...
    I do use this method which allows up to 250 statements in a single string =(A6=>2)*(RETURN A NUMERICAL SATEMENT)+(...

This is very effeftive, but i need to test and return "TEXT" as below ....  =(A6=LHR)*(HEATHROW)+(A6=ATL)*(ATLANTA)+(...

Is this possible and can somebody help

A   B     C
    1     LHR HEATHROW
    2    ATL ATLANTA
    3     HRE HARARE
    4     LUN LUSAKA
    5    YYC CALGARY

oldun

Re: String formula in Excel 2003
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
    Can you please explain in more details what exactly you are trying to achieve?

This formula:
    Code: [Select]
    If(A6="LHR"),"HEATHROW",IF?(A6="ATL"),"ATLANTA",IF ...
    will display "HEATHROW" or "ATLANTA" etc depending on the text in column A.

I do not understand the following statements/formulae.

=(A6=>2)*(RETURN A NUMERICAL SATEMENT)+(...

This is very effeftive, but i need to test and return "TEXT" as below ....  =(A6=LHR)*(HEATHROW)+(A6=ATL)*(ATLANTA)+(...

AndyVenter

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:40 AM »
      Many thks for yr interest, hope this will shed more light on what i am trying to achieve.

By entering a value in cell a1, for example "ATL" then i want to display in cell b1 the full name of the entered abbreviation i.e. "Atlanta"

When you use the IF, Else Formulae statements this is a breeze as IF,Else statements can display/return either a numerical value/calculation or text (as in my requirement, but this string is limited to seven enclosed if,else statements

My situation calls for (14) fourteen different abbreviations that need to return a full name, so I cannot use the if,else method

another way of doing this allowing up to 250 scenarios is showed/explained in the below example

instead of the standard if,else which will look like this =If(A1="a",1,If(A1="b",2,if(A1="c",3,if .... will only allow (7) seven ifs in one string,
      but this method =(A1="a")*(1)+(A1="b")*(2)+(A1="c")*(3)+(A1="d")*(4) where "="represents the same as "if" and the"*"represents "then" if true or the "+" represents "else" ....
      caters for a total of 250 statements in one string.  However my problem is that instead of displaying/returning a numerical number ... 1,2,3,4, as shown, i need to display/return text or a name like this ... =(A1="atl")*(Atlanta)+(A1="lhr")*(Heathrow)+ ..... but the statement display/return a ... #VALUE! error because of the text"atlanta"

Can i, and how, do i get this to work

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:04 AM »
      I believe the VLookup Function is a solution for you. Here's a reference: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html.  Many others can be found by doing a Google search on vlookup function in excel.