Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista only boots to Start up Repair  (Read 9721 times)

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Vista only boots to Start up Repair
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »
It's interesting. You didn't have any problems running Vista restoration, using recovery DVDs, correct?
What was the original reason for running recovery process?

chucwar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »
    From what I have been told it simply, and suddenly, started doing this thing with going through the above mentioned cycle of booting through the screens and ending on the Start up Repair. I've got the various "Signature" numbers generated by the Start up Repair as follows;

Sig. 3 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16386

and I've been combing MS website following different threads that have had the same problem (And they are VERY numerous! ;-)) As I mentioned above "this seems to be a common problem." Now if I can just find the person that has figured it out! LOL I have a tendency to lean toward thinking that it is a software problem. Possibly a corrupted, or missing file in the startup sequence. Corrupted boot sector file or? I also think the the "Format" done by the "Restore" disc is probably a very low level format. Therefore the 0 sector is not being wiped and rewritten. That is the one thing I haven't done yet. Trying to avoid it for obvious reasons. (i.e. the rigorous and mind bending installation of the above mentioned files after the Format and Fdisk commands. Getting my hands on a "Valid" command.com Autoexec.bat and Config.sys for Vista!) I'm way passed the point of worrying about saving any user made files. They were long gone after the first format from the restore disc.  Just want to get the system installed to the point that I can go and start installing the SPs 1&2. Which I hear are giving their OWN share of problems after install. Anyway.....those are just my thoughts base on my own inexperience. ;-) That is why I'm on this site talking people like you. In hopes that someone (with more experience than me) could help shed some light on this issue.  Thanks Broni Chuck <><
    « Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:07:37 PM by chucwar »

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
    I also think the the "Format" done by the "Restore" disc is probably a very low level format.

Low level format's haven't been used in a very long time, they have a tendency to destroy Hard Disks now.
    Evil is an exact science.

chucwar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »
      Hi Quantos,
      You're right. Then again, it seems MS has been systematically destroying things all along! LOL My point is, that I don't think the zero sector is being rewritten by the OEM Restore disc. Got any ideas? C ;-)

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »
      Here is a good article on LLF for you.

Have you attempted to repartition the disk?
      Evil is an exact science.

chucwar

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
        I was afraid you were going to say that. If you read the post 3-4 before this one (the long one) you will see that I was trying to avoid a full wipe, partition, and tracking down the Vista standard boot files (unless you have them.) But I don't think there are any utilities to check for corrupted boot files. I tried to run MS SFC.exe from the DOS prompt but it didn't work. I've got a copy of Ultimate Boot CD but most of the stuff on that is antique! So if I totally wipe the HDD I'm not sure I have everything I need to get it going again to attempt using the OEM Restore DVD. How about a little guidance?
        C <><