Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pc hangs during shutdown  (Read 9408 times)

gabe810

Re: pc hangs during shutdown
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 04:21:50 PM »
is this pc networked.........<the server>

ehh.... its on a wireless home network.... not quite sure what ur talking about. i dont think thats the problem tho, the shutdown hasn't been working even be4 i put the adapter on it to get it connected.  

merlin_2

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 04:30:55 PM »
ok......reason why i ask that question was .....<remote access>>never mind.......so it hangs on shudown....winxp does take a long to shutdown 89 processes......with are running in the background....does alt+ctrl+del........task manager.....end tasks.......does it shutdown faster....

Crafty

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 06:44:54 PM »
does this pc have the specs to run XP. I have an old pc that does the same. Windows 98 no problem. Windows 2000 or XP big problem, its slow as *censored* and finally grinds my PC to a halt. Whats your computer specs.

gabe810

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 08:10:12 PM »
yea, it does have the right stuff to run xp. it hasn't really slowed down, its pretty much the same speed as when i had win. 98 on it. couldn't really tell you how old it is, cuz one of my friends bought it for me as a gift from a garage sale about a little over a year and a half ago.

i've never posted specs for a pc before, but here it goes:

amd-kg(tm) 3d processor

501 mhz

128mb of ram

i think the brand is memorex, cuz thats what it says on my disc tray. its probly real old.... i'll probly update its parts when i get some money. i exit out all my programs be4 i shut down. maybe to clear things up, when i get to the shutting down screen, it just turns blue and thats when it starts hanging. my system doesn't powerdown........ if u guys need more info, i'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Crafty

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2005, 06:52:13 AM »
Did you install this from fresh or over another windows OS, you may have to install windows again to see if it does the same thing, But before you do, i would look at power managment in xp and also the bios.

ITTechnician

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2005, 07:23:24 AM »
every one is asking the wrong questions.

1st) Did this problem start when your first installed XP?

2nd) Did you use a registry checker?

3rd) What version of XP do you have?

merlin_2

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 10:12:10 AM »
winxp is hungry for ram........buy another stick.......or more depending on mobo specs.......512/1024 ram......=winxp.......or go to majorgeeks.com and download freeramxp......it may help for the time being.....

gabe810

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 10:14:28 AM »
i installed it over another windows OS. the problem did start when i first put xp home edition on it. and i did use the registry checker. i'm planning on updating my bios soon if there is nothing else to do.........

merlin_2

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 10:16:52 AM »
more ram ::)

Raptor

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »
You should install more RAM. A minimum of 256MB RAM is recommended for Windows XP.

Updating your BIOS may help resolve your problem. However, only update your BIOS if your problem is known and the fix for it is included. Otherwise you are taking unnecessary risks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 05:15:46 PM by Raptor »

gabe810

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »
alright, i was goin to compusa this weekend to pick some stuff up anyway. what do i need to get? i downloaded the manual for my motherboard at their site but i had no idea what anything meant in it. my motherboard is a fic va-503+ pcb 1.2a

oh and one other thing, will this upgrade garuntee that the problem will go away? cuz if it doesnt..... i dont know what i'll do.  :-/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 07:01:16 PM by gabe810 »

merlin_2

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 07:02:21 PM »
Save the$   use it as a server........

Raptor

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 05:51:28 AM »
oh and one other thing, will this upgrade garuntee that the problem will go away?

The BIOS update? No. Only if the problem is known and the fix included.

gabe810

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 09:24:54 AM »

The BIOS update? No. Only if the problem is known and the fix included.

no not the bios update, the ram upgrade.....

Raptor

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 09:41:11 AM »
I can not tell. It should shut down normally even with 128MB RAM.