Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SLINGBOX QUESTION  (Read 1972 times)

hockeysticks

Topic Starter

Beginner

SLINGBOX QUESTION
    « on: December 07, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »
    I've been using a Slingbox for the past 2 years with pretty good success.  The hardware has been located in a friend's house, connected to his cable line and his internet feed. 

Recently, my friend moved and his new house is located outside the city limits, in an area where cable TV is not available.  As a result, he now has Satellite TV.  I know that there are some differences in using the Slingbox with cable and satellite.  A have heard that with satellite TV, I would be "sharing" whatever he's watching, unlike with cable where it makes no difference what is on the host TV.

I would like to resume my Slingbox connection ASAP.  I am wondering what my options are in leaving it at my friend's house with satellite TV.  If it's possible to use additional hardware, what do I need to do?  Generally speaking, is a slingbox's satellite reception better or worse than with cable?  If possible, I would prefer to keep it there rather than find a new home.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: SLINGBOX QUESTION
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »
    Is this what you have?
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/slingbox.htm
    The quality can be very poor to very good.
    It requires a internet connection.
    It requires a cable or satellite box somewhere.
    Doing a 'piggy back'  is not a good idea, and may violate the service contract of the TV provider.

It is, IMO, not a cost effective way to watch TV.
    It is a gadget for people who like gadgets.

For example,
    ATT&T offers Phone, TV and Internet bundle for about $100 a month.

Others have similar bundles.