Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video 8 tape to DVD?  (Read 3291 times)

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    video 8 tape to DVD?
    « on: November 11, 2009, 06:56:59 PM »
    Hello everyone,
    I want to transfer our old video 8 tapes to dvd and I need guidance as to how to accomplish this.  We have an old dusty Sony camcorder:  Sony handycam vision video Hi 8 ccd-TRV67 NTSC.  I have the RoxioEasy Media Creator 8 software on our Dell 4700 computer.  Is it possbile to somehow transfer the Hi video 8 tapes onto the computer using the current software and camcorder?  I really need step by step instructions if this is possible. 
    Thank you  :)

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: video 8 tape to DVD?
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 10:00:55 PM »
    1. Try what this link says. It looks good, has screenshots.

But I'm sorry though, it uses DVD Santa software not the Roxio creator you have.

2. Another option is to transfer the video to a VHS and then use the VHS and transfer to computer via a capture card.

3. Wondering if you have some kind of connector cables coming with your video camera? Maybe you can hook to your computer and get the tape's stuff out of it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »
    More information that may be helpful.
    A capture card is a thing that takes the output of a VHS or a Vidkeo camera and lets you view and record in on your computer.

Some new Video Graphics cards, VGA, have options to get input from and external device3, like a web cam or anything that has the standard NTSC video.
    Here is a picture of  two old ones I have :

Hey, can somebody tell me how to reduce the size of the picture?

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
      Thanks Geek & 2x3i5x.
       I also found a gadget by Sony (Sony DVDirect VERD MC3) that does transfers direct (I think there are other models as well).  But, I'm not sure if they work well; haven't seen any reviews.  I like the idea of using the camcorder & Santa software, unfortunately, my camcorder is too old and doesn't have the connections for a firewire or usb cable. 
      Thanks again.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »
      You handy-cam will work. They all have some way to output video and audio directly.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »
      You handy-cam will work. They all have some way to output video and audio directly.
      Dell Dimension 4700 has onboard analog video output.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »
      @Geek-9pm
      Hey, can somebody tell me how to reduce the size of the picture?

quickest solution is to upload your images to imageshack.us, there's options to resize your images right on the site.

@MarleneD
      Check out Newegg It's a good place to do shopping for electronics as well as get user reviews (if they have the product you want).

MarleneD

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:19:13 PM »
        Oh, I see.  The pictures really help - thanks Geek-9pm!
        What does having onboard analog video output mean Computer_Commando? 

rover41

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
          Hi. You will find that any video card that fits into one of the PCI (white) slots in the back of the computer, will work. Because it is an analog camera you will not have a firewire facility, so you will have to use the yellow (video) and white (audio) RCA plug with a cable on one end and a micro plug to go to the video and sound cards in the back of the computer. The audio socket will be built in and supplied with the computer. Once you have that go to WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER and you will be able to capture the video directly from the camera. Choose a name for the movie and then START CAPTURE when prompted, and STOP CAPTURE when you have recovered the footage you want. If you want the whole footage just select the AUTOMATIC option and the tape in the camera will be automatically rewound to the beginning of the tape. If you don'T want the whole tape select the MANUAL option and rewind or fast forward to the section you want. Click START and the uploading will begin. Make sure you have the screen open on the camera so that you can watch the progress.When you have uploaded the footage you want, click on the FINISH button on the bottom right of the dialog box. This will then transfer the footage to the editing section where you will wait a few minutes, depending on the speed of your computer, until the scenes are displayed. Then click on the first image and hold the SHIFT key down and goto the last image.Click on the last image and the lot will be highlighted. Right click and select ADD TO STORYBOARD and all the images will be copied to the storyboard which has a TIMELINE facility for fine editing. This should get you started.!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:51:12 AM »
          ...What does having onboard analog video output mean Computer_Commando?
          The camera has analog video output (the yellow jack the arrow is pointing to in the pic), your computer needs analog video input, which you don't have.  You need a video capture card that has this feature.  The computer already has the audio in, but you will need some connector adapters.