Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unknown issue in XP (possible virus)-actually an issue with security center  (Read 3484 times)

jbabel

Topic Starter

Starter

Periodically (and only when my internet is plugged in) a quick bubble will pop up and disappear in the notifcations area on my desktop. I barely have time to make out any icon (it appears to be a red symbol with a white 'x' inside it) and cannot make anything out in the actual 'chat bubble' that appears. Again this things happens appox every 30 seconds or so on average (sometimes faster, sometimes slower). I don't even know if I would have noticed it except it makes the 'bubble' sound everytime it happenes.

I have run Hijackthis and removed all the BHO files and run AVG and run my local malware SW (malwarebytes)-though I first noticed the issue soon after running the malware SW the first time. Thanks for the input everyone.

Jarrod
    « Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:55:32 PM by jbabel »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: unknown issue in XP (possible virus)
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »
    Try leaving your mouse cursor over the exact spot where the bubble appears. It's possible the bubble will remain "up" if the cursor is there.

jbabel

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 12:27:54 PM »
      I have tried leaving the cursor over the spot and even massive clicking to try and 'activate' the icon. Alas this does not work. Any other tips/tricks? Thanks for the help.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:38:08 PM »
      The balloon appearing once doesn't bother me, but the fact that it continues is interesting.

iamtonsoffun247

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »
        It is possible that it may do with your antivirus. I dont have the one you run, but its possible that when it updates it may look like to the computer that the antivirus is out of date/turned off at that moment, or only for a split second.  This happens to me, but not so quickly.

jbabel

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 08:55:08 PM »
          Ok I have discovered this is something to do with security center. I had the window open and the pop up occured and it flashed inside the window of security center. I am still unable to see what it says or is alerting me to. It is red in color so I would assume it is some kind of alert that something is failing or needs updated.

All the items are 'on' (firewall, updates and virus)-I switched to avast!

Any ideas?