Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ATI Radeon / Windows 7 problem  (Read 4267 times)

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

ATI Radeon / Windows 7 problem
    « on: November 29, 2009, 10:07:56 PM »
    After downloading nad installing the latest drivers for my Sapphire 5750 I am unable to change my screen resolution. whenever I try to cange it from the default 1680x1050 Windows 7 goes into sleep mode and will not wake up. This is a terrible fate for old eyes!

Gremlin

Beginner

Re: ATI Radeon / Windows 7 problem
      « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:24:35 PM »
      You could roll back the driver update. Do you need the latest vid drivers to play a certain game or are you just wanting the latest drivers. I don't usually update my vid drivers unless theres a v good reason to.
      Also did you get the drivers from your video card manufacturer's site or the ati site? Try the manufacturers driver set first I'd say. Sometimes they make small changes to the ref design and you are better to get it from them. If this does'nt help I'am sure someone else on the forum will correct me or offer a better solution, there's some very brainy people floating around on this forum. (Not including me. lol)  :P

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:41 PM »
        Now I've went and done it...... I unistalled the driver via the Device Manager, then I went to the Control Panel Progams Options (Add/Remove Programs) and uninstalled the ATI Uninstaller, choosing Express Unistall all ATI Software. During the unistall Windows flashed a Blue Screen with an Error message but it was gone so quickly I didn't get to see the text. Now I get the startup screen and the system boot sound but that's it, all I get is a black screen. Like a dummy I didn't bother to make an emergency startup disk.

JJ 3000

Egghead
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:56 PM »
        You should be able to get into safe mode.

Tap F8 as the computer is starting. This will take you to the advanced startup screen. Choose Safe mode.

Let us know once you get this far.
        Save a Life!
        Adopt a homeless pet.
        http://www.petfinder.com/

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:02:02 PM »
          Had it in Safe Mode, I put the original driver CD in and started to install the original drivers, however 7 said that it failed to initialize installation.Maaaaaan, once I get this ting up and running again I ain't gonna bother with updating drivers!

JJ 3000

Egghead
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:16:07 PM »
          Go back into safe mode. Go to Device manager: Start --> Run --> devmgmt.msc  and press enter.  Then right click on your video card and select properties. In the properties windows click the driver tab. Now select roll back driver.
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.
          http://www.petfinder.com/

RudeDawg

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
            Thanx for the help. I finally got flusterred and just popped in the Windows 7 DVD and reinstalled. I didn't have any data on that installation anyway. This time I used the driver CD that came with my grahics card.
            Whaddya know, it works just great. I was able to choose my screen resolution and it worked just fine!
            God bless you folks that put up with us less asstute in the Deep Geek arts. Have a great night!