Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't get past the HP logo screen after booting  (Read 5308 times)

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

I can't get past the HP logo screen after booting
    « on: November 21, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
    I've been having some problems on and off but I have been able to get past that screen by holding down the F8 key.  Now, I can't get past that screen no matter what I try to do.  I do have recovery disks to try but of course, they are not doing me any good now  :'(  Anyone have any other suggestions for me?  Thanks.
    Mary

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: I can't get past the HP logo screen after booting
    « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
    Have you tried tapping F8 repeatedly to enter safemode ? ?
    If so what happens ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
      Yes I have and absolutely nothing happens

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »
      Tapping repeatedly ? ? not holding down ? ?
      Do it very early on...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
        yes, yes and yes   :D

Blendman

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 07:03:12 PM »
          Why are the disks doing you no good? I am only assuming you tried them? If so what happens? Sounds like a failed hard drive but if you could explain a few things it would help.

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 07:22:18 PM »
            I inserted the disks but nothing happened and since the screen wouldn't move ahead there was nothing more to do.  I also tried the esc key and the F10 key but they didn't work either. 

Blendman

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 09:06:37 PM »
              Ok, a couple of things. First of all, to clarify, when you first turn on the PC, you get the HP logo, do you get the POST screen where it shows hit F1 to setup or shows ram check, etc... white letters on black background? It can't boot if it's not finding a boot device "which is the highest possibility".

First, right when you get the HP screen, either tap esc or tab key, see if that gets you anywhere. If not, which I'm guessing then do this...

Unplug the power to pc, open it up, ground yourself to the pc metal frame and try to work on non static surface, don't need to fry anything inside. Now test to make sure all IDE cables (or other cables) are secure to the drives\devices, remove the CMOS battery for about 15 seconds and put it back in.Try to start the pc.  I would also make sure you check to see if all fans are spinning up.  It could be a simple loose IDE cable preventing the pc from booting, or could be a bad IDE cable. Could be other issues but let's knock down a few simple ones to be sure.

If you don't now how to do so, I can detail all this for you, just let me know, we don't need to cause further possible damage.

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:24:58 PM »
                OK, I'll try the things that you suggested in the morning.  The logo screen is the screen that has the set up and esc prompt.  The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the CMOS battery.  Where can that be found and what kind of a battery is it?
                Thanks for taking the time to help me out.  I appreciate it!

Blendman

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »
                  OK, I'll try the things that you suggested in the morning.  The logo screen is the screen that has the set up and esc prompt.  The only thing that I'm not so sure about is the CMOS battery.  Where can that be found and what kind of a battery is it?
                  Thanks for taking the time to help me out.  I appreciate it!

The CMOS battery is basically a flat larger watch battery which is located on the motherboard. Removing it will reset your bios settings and if there is an issue in your settings, this may help.

Here is a link showing an image which is a lot easier than me posting the whole thing...

CMOS

Also you should check for loose ram sticks while in there as well...  PLUS I do suggest you read up on ESD on the top of that page too.

futluce

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
                    Good morning BM!  I'm afraid that I have bad news.  I did everything that you suggested and I still can't get any further than I was yesterday.  I have alot of things going on today so cannot spend any more time on the PC.  Thankfully, I have my laptop and that will have to suffice for the time being.  My biggest worry is that I will lose everything that is on the desktop.  I may have to call a geek to come check it out.  But that will have to wait until after I get back from the cruise that I am going on next week.  Never a dull moment.
                    As I said previously I am grateful for your help and concern.  If you have an aha moment as it concerns my problem please shout out.  I have "notify me of replies" so I will know if you reply. 
                    Have a great Sunday and a wonderful Thanksgiving.
                    Mary     

Blendman

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
                       I could only suggest trying another IDE cable first. Other than that, it sounds like either the controllers\something gone wrong on the motherboard, or the hard drive has gone bad. It's still possible to try and recover information so whenever you have a geek friend come over to look at it, hopefully he can go over the PC a bit better than I can from here. You are more than welcome and sorry it didn't change anything. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well.  :)