Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: external DVD with USB not being properly loaded with Win XP Pro SP3  (Read 6138 times)

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

I have two almost identical computers, buth running Windows XP Pro with service pack 3 installed.  I purchased an external CD/DVD Burner(LG 20x External Super Multi DVD Rewriter Model: GE20LU10AVAR10B) to use on both machines.  It  connects with a USB cable.  The problem is that one of the machines(nr 2) has a problem loading it when found, and displays the message failure on loading and it might not work properly.  It doesn't work at all on that machine and works fine on the other(nr 1). 
                                  Machine 1.                                 Machine 2.
    Motherboard          P41 Fire Dragon by Soyo           P4 Titan 533 GA81GX by Gigabit
    Chip Set                 Intel 845                                    Intel 845 

Both machines have all drivers current, and machine 2 does read thumbdrives plugged into the same USP port.

Any sugestions?  Machine 2 has also had the hard drive replaced, the OS reloaded and all updates done.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: external DVD with USB not being properly loaded with Win XP Pro SP3
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:43:13 PM »
    Make sure there is no CD in it when you disconnetc it from the working machine and the one that does not detect it properly...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »
      There is no CD in it.  I followed the instructions for using it as follows.
      1. Connect the USB converter cable to the External super Multi DVD Rewriter.
      2. Connect the other end of the USB converter cable to your computer.
      3. Connect the AC adapter plug to the power connector at the rear of the drive. Attach the AC adapter to the AC wall outlet.
      4. When the computer is ready, confirm that the dcrive is detected, and then, insert the supplied software CD into the External Super Multi DVD Rewriter and install the software.
      It does not have a power switch.  It uses the plug as the power switch according to the directions.
      So, when I did this on computer nr 1, it got the new hardware found notice and then the hardware is configured and ready to use notice.
      When I did the same thing on computer nr 2, I got the new hardware found notice and then the failure to load properly notice.

When I look at the hardware manager in the system section of the control panel on computer nr 2 it shows with a yellow symbol. When I click on the yellow symbol it says the driver is loaded, but it can't find the device.

I would assume that the USB port was bad, but when I plug my thumb drive into it it finds the thumb drive perfectly.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »
      ...3. Connect the AC adapter plug to the power connector at the rear of the drive. Attach the AC adapter to the AC wall outlet....It does not have a power switch.  It uses the plug as the power switch according to the directions....
      It's not getting power from the wall.  USB on Computer #2, cannot quite meet the power requirements.  USB on Comp #1 has just enough.  USB ports are limited to 500ma.  I have an external drive similar to your and it does the same thing.  There's a small switch on the side labeled EXT/INT.  Won't work unless set to EXT.

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 04:05:02 PM »
        The power cord has a transformer inline that reduces the power to 12Vdc.  It does get power from the wall because as soon as I plug the power cord in the power light is lit and I can hear a faint whir as it spins up the drive.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »
        SATA drive ? ? Or IDE ?

I'm just grasping at straws here...sorry .

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
          Don't know.  There is nothing on the box or in the paoerwork that tells.  How can I find out?

It does work on one of my computers, and they are both operating with the same OS (Windows XP Pro w/SP3), and the intel 845 chipset.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
          Are you connecting to front or rear USB ports on both computers or a mix?

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
            Front on both.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 05:57:24 PM »
            Try the back port on Machine 2.

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
              Unfortunately I can't.  I gave some advice to "regulator" in his post that he should take it to a shop, and I took mine in this evening.  I wouldn't have done it if it was really mine, but it's my wifes and she lives, breathes, and runs a business on it.  I appreciate your help and will let you know what the final outcome is.  They told me that it might be the device, even though it is working on one machine.  I bought it from Fryes Electronics and they said that Fryes sells refurbished units and I might have gotten one that isn't operating on all 8 cylinders.  At any rate.  Done is done now.  I will post the results when I get them and I do appreciate all the asistance offered by you and the others.

I understand forums and am on several other ones for different things.  Maybe I shouldn't have posted what I did to regulator, but I don't think he understands the value of the free advice and help he is getting. 

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
              Who's regulator and what does he have to do with your external HDD ? ?

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »
                Who's regulator and what does he have to do with your external HDD ? ?
                regulator started a thread called "Inaccessible or undetected hard drive " He seemed to be developing an attitude because he wasn't getting the answer he wanted.  I told him that perhaps he should take it to a shop, and they probably wouldn't charge him extra for the attitude.  He has nothing to do with my problem.  Sorry if I was confusing you.

theripster

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:44:43 PM »
                  Update:  I got it back from the shop.  they said they found three blown capacitors on the motherboard and stopped at that point.  I have it hooked back up and am still having the same problem.  I did have a USB port in the back that had the printer plugged into it.  The machine sees the printer, but not the External DVD burner.  I am going to return the DVD burner and try another one.  I don't understand why machine nr 1 sees it and it works fine, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                  • Geek After Dark
                    • Gekk9pm bnlog
                  « Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »
                  I don't understand why machine nr 1 sees it and it works fine, but I'm going to try it anyway.
                  It happens.   :(