Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Video Card  (Read 6042 times)

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

Problem with Video Card
    « on: November 24, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
    Hello, I have been having a problem with my video card or at least I believe it is. Let me tell you why I believe that is the problem. At first noticed a odd occurrence of lines being put through the Windows xp starting logo. I thought I might have imagined it, but then when I went to play a game, the graphics looked warped towards the middle but normal everywhere else. But the only time I see these graphical errors is when I start the computer up and in computer games. Everywhere else it appears to be normal. I then thought that maybe I had gotten a virus or some corrupt file on my computer, so I restored my computer to factory settings and wiped the hard drive clean, but the problem was still there. I then preceded to run diagnostics on my computer and in the video portion under video memory it said error code 5300:0119 .  I checked my video card which is a radeon x600 256 mb hyper memory but it had no issues. I decided to disable it to see if it fixed the problem. Once I disabled it I looked under display to see what device would pop up. It showed VGA Save device. And under that the device I looked under resources and it showed next to the Memory range and the I/O range a circle with a cross though it. I looked below and it said conflicting devices Intel (R) 945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port - 2771 I then tried to uninstall that and reinstall it to see if it fixed the issue. It did not unfortunately. I am a little computer knowledgeable but I've never encountered a issue like this. I have not installed/downloaded any new drivers to the computer recently to cause this. My computer is a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop with Pentium 4 CPU 3.00 Ghz   2.99 GHz, 1.00 GB of Ram running windows xp service pack 3. Any Help is appreciated. Thank you.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Problem with Video Card
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
    ...I checked my video card which is a radeon x600 256 mb hyper memory but it had no issues....My computer is a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop...
    I am a bit confused.  Your computer has onboard video.  Have you added a separate video card?  If yes, then you must turn off the onboard video.
    Owner's Manual

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 04:43:48 PM »
      I have not added any video card. I have not added or removed any hardware in the three years I've owned this PC. I don't know very much about the subject but think that the vga save might be the master video card controller or something of the sort.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
      According to Dell, these are your specs:
      This is video:  Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950)

To be sure, go to www.support.dell.com and enter in your Service Tag.  It will have information on the as-shipped configuration.

Also, look at the diagnostic lights on the back.  The Owner's Manual tells what they mean.

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
        http://www.support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=anavml
        That is the link and I have made no hardware changes since then. Except for changing the mouse and keyboard.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 05:14:37 PM »
        http://www.support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/my_systems_info/details?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=2&~ck=anavml
        That is the link and I have made no hardware changes since then. Except for changing the mouse and keyboard.

Link doesn't work without Service Tag.  Go 1 or 2 more steps, then provide link.

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
          System Summary
          Service Tag:   4797W81     Change Service Tag
          System Type:   Dimension 5150/E510
          Ship Date:   11/22/2005
          Dell IBU:   Americas
          Quantity   Parts #   Part Description
          0   149DF   INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #2
          0   4X388   Instruction, Preparation- Material, Deviation, Dimension Increase, Number
          1   W8400   Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 630, SKT-T, Male
          1   J4628   Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry, Liteon
          1   X7636   Mouse, UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS..., 2 Button, Lead Free Entry, Logitech, Midnight Gray
          4   D6492   Dual In-Line Memory Module 256, 533, 32X64, 8, 240, 1RX16
          1   F6371   Kit, Speaker, 120V, Nmb, A215 Midnight Gray, Ship In Box
          1   T9210   Modem, V.92, Data Fax, Internal Donny, Lead Free, Dell Americas Organization
          1   U9565   Assembly, COMPACT DISK READ WRITE/DIGITAL VIDEO DISK DRIVE COMBO..., 48X Half Height, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology, CHASSIS 2005...
          1   Y4299   Display, Flat Panel Display, 17 Dual Voltage, 1704FPT, Midnight Gray, DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
          1   UC946   Card, Graphics, 256, Radeon, X600 MRMGA+
          1   MC249   Hard Drive, 160G, Native CommandQueueing, 7.2K, 8M, Lead Free SGT-PU
          1   KD104   Assembly, Flash Storage Device Universal Serial Bus, Reader Half Height, TEAC..., CHASSIS 2005...
          1   R6401   Assembly, Cable, FLEX-BAY Dimension, MATRIX,SMITH,MINI TOWER...
          1   T1613   Kit Software, OFCBSC-2K3 Original Equipment Manufacturer, English
          1   TC400   Kit, Software, MCAF-SCTY, 6.0 Compact Disk Drive, English
          1   T8147   PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., DIMENSION..., 5100, DAO/BCC
          1   PD936   ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., NON PFC..., PWA INTEGRATED..., 5150/E510
          0   01323   INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
          1   J7109   Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud Mainstream, Matrix, Smith, Mini Tower
          1   5000T   Cable, I/O-RJ11, Modem, Green
          0   83535   INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
          Here is the information on the link.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          « Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 05:45:54 PM »
          So, you have 2 graphics controllers:  integrated (onboard) & separate (Card, Graphics, 256, Radeon, X600 MRMGA+).  The separate is probably a PCI-e X16.
          You are able to set the primary graphics in the BIOS?

"...I checked my video card which is a radeon x600 256 mb hyper memory but it had no issues. I decided to disable it to see if it fixed the problem. Once I disabled it..."
          You mean disabled under Windows?  Then you move the video cable to the other connector?

"...I then preceded to run diagnostics on my computer and in the video portion under video memory it said error code 5300:0119...."
          This indicates some of the main memory is being set aside as shared memory.  I don't think it's able to test the memory on the separate card.

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
            Under bios I have two options, Auto select graphics or Use integrated graphics It was on auto before this I tried switching it earlier but It did not change anything.

I disabled the radeon x600 by using the device manager.

I believe that the diagnostics was testing the VGA device that I saw when I disabled the radeon x600.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »
            1.  Under bios I have two options, Auto select graphics or Use integrated graphics It was on auto before this I tried switching it earlier but It did not change anything.
            2.  I disabled the radeon x600 by using the device manager.
            3.  I believe that the diagnostics was testing the VGA device that I saw when I disabled the radeon x600.
            1.  Auto is OK
            2.  Don't do this in Windows, use the BIOS only.  From within Windows creates too many other variables.
            3.  I think so, too. 
            "...memory it said error code 5300:0119..." AND this "...odd occurrence of lines..."
            These would indicate a Bad RAM module.  Since error code doesn't pinpoint which module, can you test from Setup?  If you can, then remove 1 module and test, then swap, then test.  Sometimes, just removing the memory module and reinserting will "wipe" the contacts and memory error will disappear.  Remove them both and reinsert and see what happens.

blindman

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 06:27:01 PM »
              Sorry but I meant it was a error under video memory. All other types of memory cleared the diagnostics. The odd lines only appear on the start up portion and the similar problem in games. I believe the message said something like error code 5300:0119 and said expected EEEEEEEF and encountered EFEEEEEF
              Edit: I plan on taking off the casing and cleaning the computer in case dust might have caused the issue so if you think it will help I will also remove the ram memory and put it back in.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              « Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 06:46:32 PM »
              When using onboard graphics controller, some of the main memory is reserved as video memory.  Yes, remove RAM and put it back in.  Remove graphics card and put it back in, too.  Many times this works.

If this doesn't work, remove the graphics card, connect to onboard video, if problem goes away, it's the Radeon, X600 MRMGA+