Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2nd drive not appearing  (Read 2669 times)

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    2nd drive not appearing
    « on: June 20, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »
    I have a HD from a broken machine, that works fine, but I am not sure if it was wiped etc. I basically don't know what is on it, but I know it works.

So to try and find out, I tried to install it as a slave drive on my friends computer. I did this, and changed the jumpers (I think) to the correct jumper settings to make it a slave.

The computer booted as normal, and the little balloon in windows came up to tell me that new hardware was found. But when I open "My Computer", only the master is there.

If I go into device manager, both the drives show, and appear to be enabled and working correctly.

What do you think I am doing wrong? I just want to be able to check what is on this Hard Drive. It doesn't work as a master, as I don't think there is any kind of OS on it.

Even if it was blank, it should still be assigned a drive letter, and appear in "my computer" for me to explore, shouldn't it?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks for any replies posted.
    Kop442000.

Raptor

Re: 2nd drive not appearing
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 01:35:25 PM »
    How was the HDD reformatted?

kop442000

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 01:45:14 PM »
      I am not too sure what you mean by this, but telling you a little about the history of the drive should answer the question.

The drive was a slave in another machine and worked fine. One day I was trying to format main drive, but messed something up, and I started getting an error message on boot up that I couldn't overcome. That is all in the past now, as I am building a new machine, but it has left me not knowing what (if anything now) is on the slave drive.

I don't know if I formatted that slave at all, or partially. I am pretty sure it doesn't have an OS on it.

If I try it as a master, I get error messages - I think basically saying it has no operating system.

What do I need to do, to find out if there is anything on this drive?

Hope someone can help.
      Kop442000
      « Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:47:25 PM by kop442000 »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 01:57:41 PM »
      it has told you already........v

If I try it as a master, I get error messages - I think basically saying it has no operating system. Topic Summary  
      Posted by: kop442000

its blank in otherwords......

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:59:35 AM »
      What kind of file system was used when the HDD was reformatted before you removed it from the system? Perhaps an older file format system such as FAT16 was used. I do not believe that Windows XP can read such.

Rollin_Again

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 02:14:48 PM »
      When you boot up the computer do you see the drive detected by the BIOS?  This can be determined when you see all the stuff Flashing on the screen before windows starts up (you should see each drive being detected)

After booting, check in Disk Management (Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Managment --> Storage --> Disk Managment)  If the drive appears, you may have to mark the drive as being active.

Rollin