Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new graphics card problems  (Read 2317 times)

theboz

Topic Starter

Starter

new graphics card problems
    « on: November 22, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »
    Hi.
    i recently purchased a new computer as my old motherb oard had gone. I have put in it some ram, an old type memory drive and a nvidia geforce 8500 gt graphics card. the computer works fine normally, but whenever i watch video or play a game it crashes or i get a blue screen. it happens everyday and i'd be greatful for any advice. curiosly, the new memory disc doesnt register in bios and the new graphics card is the only one that shows up in device manager. I was wondering if theres a problem between the two, the new card is the first thing that appears on screen when i boot up, before windows.
    i have a packard bell imedia b22818 uk with intel celeron r, 2 gb of ram and 32 bit system. please, any help is needed

Quantos

Guru
    • Veni, Vidi, Vici
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: new graphics card problems
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »
    Do you mean a conflict between the onboard graphics and your add in card?

You should disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS.
    Evil is an exact science.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:41:11 AM »
    What is the blue screen error you get? And what is "an old type memory drive"?

theboz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:21:36 AM »
      hi,
      i dont always get a blue screen and it lasts for seconds. usually the comnputer just crashes. By old style memory i mean the type that uses a ribbon, the other one that came with the computer is the new configuration which has a slim red cable (for the memory drive). The old card doesnt pop up anywhere, i cant see it in bios, then again i dont know how to look for it.
      Fuunny thing is, the card worked fine for the first month or so but know crashes at the start of any game.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »
      I still don't know what you mean by a memory drive, but okay. Go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Settings and uncheck "automatically restart". Next time the blue screen will remain up. Tell us the exact error.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 08:41:25 AM »
      By old style memory i mean the type that uses a ribbon, the other one that came with the computer is the new configuration which has a slim red cable (for the memory drive).

I have put in it some ram, an old type memory drive and a nvidia geforce 8500 gt graphics card.

Umm, let's get the terminology straight here.  I believe you mean the HD (hard drive) or HDD (hard disk drive) when you say "old style memory" and "old type memory drive".  I'm amazed that's you're even tinkering around wiith these components if you don't even know what they're called.

The "old style memory i mean the type that uses a ribbon" is an IDE HD.  The "one that came with the computer is the new configuration which has a slim red cable" is a SATA HD.

theboz

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 02:51:33 PM »
        Yes, thankyou soybean for clearing that up, i couldnt recall the correct names at the time i was posting so i described them. A trained chimp can conect one wire to another so its not exactly rocket science. Please post if you have anything helpful to contribute rather than sarcasm.

I have taken futher advice and it was suggested it may be the card itself that is faulty, so i am going to test it on another computer. I'll keep you all posted (no pun intended!) thanks for the help.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:06:47 PM »
        Please post if you have anything helpful to contribute rather than sarcasm.
        I have, indeed, helped by getting better communication flowing here. We aren't mind readers. Using correct terminology makes your question clear and failing to do so unnecessarily prolongs the discussion, as you can see by the replies received here.

I have taken futher advice and it was suggested it may be the card itself that is faulty, so i am going to test it on another computer. I'll keep you all posted (no pun intended!) thanks for the help.

Good.