Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help my computer keeps freezeing  (Read 2525 times)

Bret mastergeorge

Please help my computer keeps freezeing
« on: June 20, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »
  ok i ve got a problem thats been bugging me for a year my computer keep freezeing. it alwasy freezes on boot up it alwasy freezes on games to. Ive tryed reformating like 5 times taht didnt help. I took the new sound card that i had in and replaced it with my old one and it worked fine for a while  then it started to freeze again. i defraged it. i cheacked for viruis , ad-ware, and spyware, and all my test results were saying there were no problems. The only game that i ahve on my computer now is World of Warcraft and it freezes when im playing and im forced to reboot its getting EXTREAMly annoying. All im asking is can u tell whats wrong with my computer????

merlin_2

Re: Please help my computer keeps freezeing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »
system specs.......required.........

pcdoc4christ

Re: Please help my computer keeps freezeing
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 07:14:09 PM »
Bret:

It may be any number of things. Try these troubleshooting steps:

1. The video card or DirectX may be the cause.  Check Window's Device Manager for a conflict between your video card and some other device connected to your system.   Run dxdiag (click Start > Run and type [size=16]DXDIAG[/size] and click OK.  Run all the tests to make sure your Windows DirectX software is not causing the problem.

2. Check for overheating.  The fact that your computer hangs when you are playing graphic-intensive games may be a sign of too much heat inside the case.  Dust keeps your system from properly cooling.  Buy a can of compressed air, open up the computer case, and spray out all the dust (especially the dust clogging the vents).  But don't blow the dust into the case, blow it out, instead.  While you have the computer case open, power up the machine and check to see that all the fans are inside the case (especially the one attached to the CPU) are spinning and not making any loud noises.  If any of the fans are not working properly, take it to a computer repair shop to have them replaced.  

3. The power supply (which is really a power converter) may be dying hard.  If it fails to provide the proper voltages (either too much or too little voltage) the system will lock up.  The fact that this happens when you start your computer means that the power supply may be the culprit.  Try taking it to the shop and having them replace the power supply. If that doesn't fix it, you'll still have a spare just in case it does fail in the future (which they often do).

If those three steps don't work, let us know and one of us will make more suggestions.  

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 07:15:42 PM by pcdoc4christ »