Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temporary Profile when trying to log in  (Read 3919 times)

compositetaxconsulting

Temporary Profile when trying to log in
« on: November 26, 2009, 05:01:26 AM »
Laptop Specs:
Dell Inspiron (Pro, I believe)
Windows Vista

Problem:
When I turn on my computer, the log-in screen comes up as normal. I type in my password and it goes to the Welcome screen. But it takes about a minute and a half to on this page over the usual 10-15 seconds. It also makes a sound as if it is reading a CD, but there is no CD in the drive. Then it goes to a screen saying "Loading Desktop Settings" it stays here for a long time as well. When i finally get to the desktop, it is not my normal desktop. A small pop-up comes off the right side of my start bar and it says: Your desktop could not be loaded correctly! A temporary profile has been loaded and any changes made to it will not be saved. Also, the welcome center comes up as if it were the first time for me to use the laptop. This happens every time i try to sign in my administrative account. If I sign into guest this problem does not occur. I am able to use the laptop normally (i.e. get online, make documents, run programs) but nothing is saved because of the Temporary settings. I know my files are still on the computer because when I ran my virus scans I saw them scanning all my files. Basically what i need help with is to figure out how i can sign into my administrative account and stop my laptop from starting this temporary profile.

What i have done:
I  have run Norton Virus Scan.

Please help me figure out how to stop logging into a temporary profile so i can log into my own.

btb57

Rookie

Re: Temporary Profile when trying to log in
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:04:19 PM »
    Try this url see if it helps.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947242