Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Original files & programs for xps400,version 2002  (Read 2883 times)

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Need Original files & programs for xps400,version 2002
    « on: November 27, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »
    Is there a way to get the original files & programs for an xps400, so I can start all over again & update it from there?  Learning has caused me to lose some files & finding them is difficult & if I start all over again I think it would be easier to understand.
      My primary is a signed CD-ROM & my secondary is an unsigned CD/RW-ROM ( I also need to find a way to sign my secondary before having to go buy all new equipment).  Thank you ahead of time for all that reply.

Salmon Trout

Re: Need Original files & programs for xps400,version 2002
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:08:38 AM »
    You should call Dell. Regarding your drives, what do you mean by "signed"?

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:35 AM »
      RE: while learning on my own ,per se, I was informed that my CD/RW-ROM is unsigned & will not work as my primary, wish I knew why, since being 3 times the size & it being another problem I'd love to figure out & use.  Thanks for telling me about Dell but isn't there another way or place to regain all the original that came with this 400 when it was originally sold? Appreciate it, Thx.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
      Where did you get this machine?

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
        I bought in from someone cheap, true it's used but I'm legit at my age, honest Jeez I sure hope that doesn't sound wrong.  You see at my age & on 100%, I'm trying to keep busy & learn this computer age & next month I have to take a break to catch up with my bills. It isn't easy with no raise for 2 years & having to pay for all this, I hope you understand.  Thank you for replying.
         :)

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 10:47:01 AM »
        You'll need to get what you need from Dell or from the person who sold you the system.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
        I bought in from someone cheap

Ask them for either the recovery disks or else a receipt (proof of purchase) so you can go to Dell and request new disks.

Don't understand what you are saying about age.

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
          I'm 56 year old on 100% disability.  OK I'll go to Dell & ask them but being a second owner & hoping the 1st owner had good relationships with Dell(?) but if that isn't true is this the only way?  I've gone there & tried downloading their files , is that all I have to do? Thx

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
          have you tried hitting Ctrl + F11 at  bootup to get to the hidden restore partition? If this is still intact, and usable, you can restore the machine to as-new condition.

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
          I'm 56 year old on 100% disability.  OK I'll go to Dell & ask them but being a second owner & hoping the 1st owner had good relationships with Dell(?) but if that isn't true is this the only way?  I've gone there & tried downloading their files , is that all I have to do? Thx
          The system should have a sticker on it with a Dell Service Tag number on it. Just go to Dell Support online, enter the service tag number, and you'll get a page with all the software your system needs

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »
            Thank you, I have found Belarc & it's telling me  have to write it all down since I don't have a printer.  Please let me finish writing Belarc down & then I will come right back & write your info. 
            Will I be able to do what you've said if there is no back w/F11?  I mean if this is a clean PC except what I've been able to do with it?
            Thank you very much.

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:19:24 PM »
              Sorry about that last thread, the PC wouldn't space,  Belarc is telling me everything that's inside this PC (I think), so I'm on my way back to finish writing. Thx

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »
              Belarc will also tell you the Service Tag Number

cscoot03

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
                So if I use the Service Tag # & go to Dell then all the original programs will be downloaded? Thx