Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway 450rog laptop -- Just not starting up  (Read 4905 times)

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Gateway 450rog laptop -- Just not starting up
« on: November 27, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »
I have, rather my sister, a Gateway 450ROG laptop.

This particular series has quite a few common problems with the video card and the main power unit inside the laptop...

Anyways, here is what was happening:
The computer would stay on for a variable amount of time before the screen would go all "whack-o" and the computer would either just freeze up or restart.

I ruled out a problem with Windows, since this happened while in the BIOS as well. It seems to be a video card problem.

Also, frequently on the computer startup, the fans would stay on for an abnormal amount of time with a blank screen and no hard drive indicators going. It seemed that, if you moved the laptop around at this point, it would continue to start up.

Narrowing it down to a video card problem: (does not explain abnormal startup time)
The computer does weird things to the display when the LCD monitor is moved back and forth.

I disassembled the laptop and checked the cable detaching the LCD screen entirely from the laptop. Cables were tight, but the main cable to the monitor seemed like it has been under a lot of stress... it looks like it was kind of wedged into the peg thingy that covers the hinges of the screen.

Reassembled the computer, checked for any loose screws by shaking it a bit, put in the battery, and tried to start up.
Nothing.
Connected the AC adapter
Nothing.
Opened the power button and LED panel and manually pressed the button
Nothing.

What am I missing?

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
Re: Gateway 450rog laptop -- Just not starting up
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
Laptops never introduced failsafe switches, did they? (eg. Won't start up until a certain switch or connection is intact)

Or any specialized power diagnostics?

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:09:35 AM »
    dnt like to state the obvious but could be that the video cable is damaged from being pinned under the hinge.

Zylstra

Topic Starter

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
    Yeah, that's what I did figure, but I don't think that it would prevent the rest of the computer from starting up... I suppose if it short-circuited it could, but even then I see that as kind of being unlikely.

Then again, it is an older Gateway laptop... those alone have enough problems.

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:31:47 PM »
      Yes I see your point.  ???