Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Good old crapy games?  (Read 5270 times)

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Good old crapy games?
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
Is there anyone who know any good game for Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500? Dungeon keepers 2 is my favourite game but the shadow and some texture look weird, but it is playable but nothing I want to play whit. not even Serious Sam or Tribes 2 works. I will try Diablo when I find out how to transform a CD in to a USB.

So dose anyone know any good old games who will work whit Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 500?
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

BatchFileCommand

Hopeful
    Re: Good old crapy games?
    « Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:07:36 PM »
    I'm using Vista. But sometimes with old games, you can go to properties, and check, 'run with 256 colors' which is what the old crappy games used. That might help.
    οτη άβγαλτος μεταφ βαθμολογία

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
      That would be DirectX 7 & 8 territory. There are a lot of good games you could try at that level.

Are you using a netbook with an atom proc. Intel offers a support page for getting the most out of these chips and has fixes for many issues. http://www.intel.com/support/ (you might have to hunt around a bit)

Try these...

*Fallout 1 & 2.
      *XCOM Apocolypse. Awsome.
      *Balders Gate & Icewind Dale series. Excellent RPG 10/10
      *Operation Flashpoint. Might be a push. Original only, the expansions might bog your sys down.
      *Sacred. Another RPG like Diablo 2.
      *Earth 2150. Sci Fi RTS. V Good.
      *The Sims 1.
      *Close Combat series. RTS WW2
      *Hearts of Iron 1 & 2.
      *Sudden Strike series RTS WW2

Man I could go on all day about the classic not crappy DX7 & 8 games. There's hundreds. Hope this helps a little.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 09:28:08 PM »
      I'm using Vista. But sometimes with old games, you can go to properties, and check, 'run with 256 colors' which is what the old crappy games used. That might help.

I just have to ask, what dose that mean?

I ask for games that run whit the worst graphic card you can think off (but still a good game). If I want to play hardcore games I would just play them on my main, I play on the highest graphic whit 60 FPS+

EDIT:
      btw it's a aspire one AO531h
      "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:44:53 PM »
        All of the games listed above are quite old and should run on your netbook.

Balders Gate and Icewind Dale ran on 200mhz machines and XCOM ran on a i486. Same deal with Fallout 1 & 2, pentium 200mhz was all it needed.
        Operation Flashpoint was probably the highest speced game I recommend and that ran on like a 500mhz machine so dont worry they arent cutting edge by any means. They are decent and they should run on your netbook, but if you want crapier try space invaders & pacman.

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:57:12 PM »
          Also I think what BatchFileCommand was trying to do was kindly offer you a possible fix for your Dungeon Keeper game.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
          That make sense. but I think it would be better to change it to start as Win98/95 and then disable shadows. I would have used CanYouRunIt.com but they remove all of the old games...

And thanks for the game list there Gremlin

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 10:50:23 PM »
            Yeah I agree, runinng in compatability mode can help. Theres an option to force 256 color in there too.

http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.com/ is a great place for older pc games that are now abandonware.

Good luck with your ultra mobile gaming.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            • Certifications: List
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 02:39:55 AM »
            win95 98 compatibility mode is essentially useless for games since it causes a 80% increase in CPU usage for the process as API calls are intercepted and forced to "behave" as win9x would. compatibility mode should ONLY be used for APPLICATION programs that will not run otherwise. In my experience games that people propose should be run with compatibility mode either have newer source ports that run on modern operating systems or patches that will allow them to run (either official or unofficial). Examples of the former are games such as Doom, Quake, Quake 2 and Duke 3d; an example of the latter is Need For Speed High Stakes. (by the way those also happen to be game suggestions :P) Also, I've found that a good portion of games recommended to run in compat mode will run just fine without it.

"The worst graphics card you can think of" for me, would probably be an 8-bit MDA adapter... but that was obviously not what you meant, :P

I used to have to play the above games on a ATI 3d Rage Pro Turbo (8MB VRAM)- it didn't support OpenGL, so I had to play with software at something like 320x240. (I think duke3d managed to get up to 640x480)
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Gremlin

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
              Yes I agree with BC_programmer. If the game works without it don't worry about usin it, obviously. Of all the games Ive tried only 2 have worked with it. Need for Speed Porche challenge didnt work and then did with compatability mode. Its worth a try but don't hold too much hope. Can't remember the other game that worked under it. So yeah it's helpful for about 2% of the games (in my experience). Not great but it was good when it let me play NFS.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »
              Porsche Unleashed/Porsche Challenge I think had a  patch that allowed it to work just fine for me in WinXP, but I haven't installed it on either Vista or 7. It did have blurry text which was kind of annoying but workable.

High-stakes is another one I see people recommend using the compatibility option for, but it is really quite unnecessary, since there are some pretty neat patches packs for it that fix a lot of issues. And it goes slow as molasses with the option enabled, too :P
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Frejoh466

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Yes
              « Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »
              2%... Most games I play need to run as 98/95 like Settlers 4 (but can't play it whit the new Navidia card) Thief, Fallout tactics, it work whit the regular but it will go so much better if I set it as 98/95.

Then I have over 500 games and I'm sure some of the games must have 98 to work too (Most of them are old games)