Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help! Lost internet connection!  (Read 2553 times)

scopio

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Help! Lost internet connection!
    « on: November 30, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
    My daughter has a laptop (Dell Inspirion) with Vista HP and IE 7, which she uses for college. She can connect via wireless router to
     internet at home and at college. At home she can connect to the internet, but at college IE  refuses connect to the internet! Although
    it did do three weeks ago! I have restored System Restore to when she used to be able to connect at college but still no connection! Now
    the signal strength to her college wireless router shows as strong, but IE cannot connect to the internet.  :||x

Any helpful suggestions would be most grateful.  ::)

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Help! Lost internet connection!
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
    Did she try another browser, like Firefox?

Lyniaer

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:41:04 AM »
      This is a game Vista enjoys playing.  Check in the Network and Sharing Center.  If there's a big, red X between the router and the Globe, click the X and let windows "Diagnose" the problem.  My mother's laptop with Vista loved to do this and clicking on that X yields no diagnostic "results" but it gets a connection immediately after doing so anyway.

It's a common malfunction with Vista and Wireless and not even Microsoft knows what the issue is.

A clue to Vista's game-playing treachery is while viewing the Network and Sharing Center it'll consistently show where the Router's name is supposed to be "Identifying..."  It 'may' go away, but comes right back a few seconds later anyhow.

Visit Windows Update and download any and all updates that are available in the rare instance that they may have it resolved.

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:55:42 AM »
      Before we start blaming Vista for the problem has any one checked if the college has changed anything on their end that would prevent her from connecting?

Keep in mind that just because she has a connection to the router doesn't automatically mean the internet at the college is working.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

scopio

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:21 PM »
        Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am trying to contact the IT department at the college to pass on your comments and resolve this issue >:(

To my thinking it must be an issue of communication between the laptop and the college router! But what ???

scopio

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
          Before we start blaming Vista for the problem has any one checked if the college has changed anything on their end that would prevent her from connecting?

Keep in mind that just because she has a connection to the router doesn't automatically mean the internet at the college is working.

You are so right :) the problem was with the college router connection and nothing more.

Thanks to everyone for their input!