Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Voice Recognition software  (Read 2808 times)

Kyahsmom

Voice Recognition software
« on: December 01, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »
Hi all! I have a friend who is nearly blind and has heard about voice recognition software. Is there such a thing and if so where do I get it? Also anyone have a preference on a specific brand?
Thanks!
Beckah

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Voice Recognition software
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:32:18 AM »
Voice recognition software has been around for at least 20 years. Early versions were hit or miss and required a lot of "training". I understand newer versions are better (they will never be 100% perfect). You might want want to do a Google search and check out the various options. Dragon Naturally Speaking is one of the oldest and best known products and is probably pretty good.

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:46:16 AM »
Dragon Naturally Speaking is one of the oldest and best known products and is probably pretty good.
I thought of this straight away when I saw the topic. Absolutely amazing software - I haven't used it but have seen it in action.

I also have been looking for voice recognition software over the last few weeks for a friend who wants to "digitalise" old newspaper clippings easily without typing them out. Unfortunately I found absolutely nothing for free.

MP1975

Apprentice
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
    I recently bought an HP DV6 Laptop that came with Voice recognition software on it. I have not used it BUT a co-worker bought the same PC and has used the software and says it works amazingly. He uses it alot and loves it but it does take some training.
    Dream untill your dreams come true.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 01:14:31 AM »
    I thought of this straight away when I saw the topic. Absolutely amazing software - I haven't used it but have seen it in action.

I also have been looking for voice recognition software over the last few weeks for a friend who wants to "digitalise" old newspaper clippings easily without typing them out. Unfortunately I found absolutely nothing for free.

A good scanner and OCR software might be better for that.

takeaction9

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 05:54:45 AM »
      Dragon is the best I've ever used, although I haven't looked at the competition in a long time.  Voice Recognition software would obviously be a great solution for your friend; but I would also recommend it for anyone that does a lot of writing.  Once you get used to dictating instead of typing, your words per minute will improve significantly ---- at least mine did.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
      personally, I find that I can type faster then I think... I have to wait for my brain to catch up with my fingers sometimes.

I have to agree with Quaxo here, if the only real purpose is to digitize newspaper clippings then a scanner and OCR software would probably be a better bet.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.