Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Software onto a memory stick  (Read 2811 times)

crog13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Software onto a memory stick
    « on: December 01, 2009, 09:04:37 AM »
     My girlfriends computer I just recently resetted to factory settings and we are having problems installing her printer, we have the installation disk but when we put it in I doesn't do anything and when I run the disk an empty window appears. I have also looked online for online installation but with it being an old printer it doesn't get much attention and there is no software I could find.
     My question is could I put the installation software onto a memory stick from my computer, take the memory stick to her computer, then install it. Her computer can read memory sticks because I have tested it but I'm wondering if its possible and if so, how do I do it?. Thanks x

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Software onto a memory stick
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
    You surely can.
    Copy entire CD to USB stick and look for some file called "setup.exe", or "install.exe".

Make sure to install printer software BEFORE connecting printer to the computer.

nathan_s

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:43:25 AM »
      That is if the CD for a printer this old has a setups, might as well just have the drivers. Still - copy an enteir CD on your flash drive(or memory stick if it has a card reader) and in case ther is no intallation file use windows device search to manually install the drivers - in this case the printer can be connected before installing but you might require to reboot afterwards

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 05:44:21 AM »
      That is if the CD for a printer this old has a setups, might as well just have the drivers.

there were setup programs on the floppy disk installs of almost all printers. CDs are a lot newer, and at the very least they all have an autorun program that deploys the driver, which can be run manually.

Also, there is always the possibility of simply downloading the latest driver, too.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

crog13

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
        Thanks guys, ill try that today if my girlfriend can find the *censored* memory stick lol :( thanks everyone x

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 01:16:49 AM »
        Thanks guys, ill try that today if my girlfriend can find the <censored> memory stick lol :( thanks everyone x

Like BC was saying, you can just download the driver from the manufacturer, eliminating the need for the CD or a memory stick.

If you can tell us the model of printer as well as what version of OS she's using, we can direct you where to download it from.

greatelison

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:15:41 PM »
          drop the model here

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »