Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Abnormal mouse, or motherboard problem. Help please.  (Read 2903 times)

ESC.Lee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Abnormal mouse, or motherboard problem. Help please.
    « on: December 04, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »
    I've never had a problem like this before and It's very complex. I haven't been able to find anyone who can thoroughly understand the problem, the reason for it, or how it happened but the fact is.. it did happen and it's real. As a crazy as this will sound. Here I go.

I'm an avid gamer. I've been gaming for years now. I ran into a problem recently with an older computer I had. Apparently It's possessed by a demon or something super natural happened but basically

I've went through three different mouses on this one computer and the same thing happened every time. Two razer mice, and one logitech.

The mouse abnormally slow on the highest of all DPI settings, sensitivity etc. I've re-installed ALL drivers, tried without drivers, reinstalled Operating systems. Tried different Operating systems, tried different ports and tried TWO different cpus and nothing has changed.

The mouse simply will move VERY VERY slowly on the highest of all settings, and the mouse speed will change upon restart, idle etc.

It makes absouletely no sense. Now I've reasoned that there is no way I've been sent three bad mice. At one point or period they functioned normally and somewhere in a small time period they began to dysfunction and I can not find the reason.

Here is the questions I have.

Is it possible for a mouse to damage a USB port, or vice versa?

Can there be internal damage done to a mouse plugged in a possibly damaged USB port or motherboard? * Just speculation )

By plugging these damaged mice into new systems, am I risking damage to the new system?

The final questions I have is, is it possible to fix this problem?

I don't think I'll find much help here because this is a problem that not many people have heard of, or encountered. I'd need someone very technical and knowledgeable about computers. I'm thinking like Engineers or something. Well I thought I'd post anyway and try.

I would literally pay over a $100 just to find someone who can help me fix this problem. It has ruined gaming for me in the last two years or so and I'm left clueless. I hope if no one can help me here, they can point me in the right direction.

If I really find someone who can diagnose the problem and help me fix it.. I'd seriously hand over a $100 +. I've spent so much more trying to fix it. 3 mice, brand new CPU. Well.. I hope I can find someone. Thank you for your time

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Abnormal mouse, or motherboard problem. Help please.
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
    1) Just ask the question without all the other nonsense
    2) Saying you don't think you'll find much help here is NOT an incentive for us to help you
    3) Nor is offering money. It's insulting.

ESC.Lee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
      I'm just being reasonable. Do you think you've ever heard of such a problem? Not many people have. It's not that my expectations of anyones knowledge here is low but you don't come to a doctor with a very rare medical condition that he has never heard of and expect him to save you, but what else can you do? I am not being negative, just realistic. I apologize if I offended anyone.

Offering money just shows my frustration with the problem. Do you know how I feel? Probably not. Thanks for the warm welcome though, I feel even more hopeful.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
      The final questions I have is, is it possible to fix this problem?
      Yes, get rid of the old PC. It is just unstable
      As to the rest of your questions, there is little reason to fear a dyeing mouse. But there is little point in keeping them.

I have been a electronic Technician for more years that I would like to admit. Back in the days of vacuum tubes, valves to the Brits, we would try to salvage and old tube and get the most out of it. But eventually it had to be thrown away.

Today complex devises made with thousands of junctions on a silicon base do not show defects on a simple trans conductance tester. And the modern trend in software is to not report low-level failures to the end-user. When you get to the point where the performance is noticeably inferior, the device is very badly damaged. Trying to fix the problem with a more tolerant software is not the right approach.

To illustrate the concept here. Say you had a old card. Runs OK.  But one day it begins to run  slowly. Days later, Very slowly. The gas is OK. The oil is OK. The spark plugs are fine. Now then, at this point would you want to pay an expert mechanic to do extensive tests to see if the thing could be repaired? Only if the car was well worth the time and effort.

Of course, it might be something simple.
      But more likely it is just wore out.

We used to think that devices made with silicon tips could just go on and on for years. That is not longer true. Today a PC can have a large number if devices that can fail or drop out of tolerance. The parts are manufactured at the lowers possible cost. Quality control is done statistically. It is not practical to prove the quality of each little thing.

ESC.Lee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:31:05 PM »
        Thanks for the reply and thanks for your time. I truly appreciate it. I no longer use the older pc, however, I still have all three mice. Should I get rid of them as well? From what you say theres no point in trying to fix them. I've already plugged two into the new computer I built. Could this lead to further damage on the new computer or should I be safe? The last thing I want is another broke computer that no mouse works on.

The main thing I'm trying to do is get a stable mouse on this new CPU and I need to figure out if I need another new cpu, or just a new mouse. I just want to make sure my cpu that I have now is not being damaged by these mice in any way, is that even possible? I hope that makes sense.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
        I just want to make sure my cpu that I have now is not being damaged by these mice in any way, is that even possible? I hope that makes sense.

I have never has a mouse damage a PC. It is the other way. the PC can damage the mouse. If the mouse shorts the connection, the PC will either isolate it of shut down until the next restart. But here is not point in using a damaged mouse. Sometimes they can be repaired, but hadly worth the effort. You can get a standard mouse for about $2 US.Optical mouse costs more and is very nice.

On eBay you can find a 1600 dpi wireless optical mouse for under $20

ESC.Lee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:50:07 PM »
          Are you positive then that I were to buy a new mouse, it should function correctly in this new cpu? I don't think I made note that I had a Razer Copperhead and I flashed the firmware several times, like a lot of times. Are you familiar with firmware flashing on mice? It dealt with the USB port, had to take it out-plug it back in to flash the firmware. I'm wondering if this was the cause.

I trust your word though, you were once a technician. I was almost worried that the mouse was damaging the CPUs but since ALL three were possibly damaged by the older CPU then I guess It's just the mice. I should be getting a new one soon. Probably a razer again.

I still just can't help but wonder.. what caused this problem. You never hear about this, not anywhere. So why would It happen to me?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
          From your first post I did not see that you were into mouse modification.
          Some PCs will not do well on a modified mouse. Even some new ones!
          Look here:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6st5jJLMbc
          Of course that is about the MAC.
          But in any case, the mouse does not damage the PC.

If the mouse has been modified, the PC may not be able to read the mouse correctly. Mouse firmware is low-level code. You have to count time delays and things like that and generate a response in a very short time frame.

My guess is the old PC does not have USB 2.0 and that would make a difference with a custom mouse.

So then, no, don't throw the old PC away. Just get a standard mouse. Or use a analog Joy Stick. if it has an old joy stick port.

ESC.Lee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:35:57 PM »
            From your first post I did not see that you were into mouse modification.
            Some PCs will not do well on a modified mouse. Even some new ones!
            Look here:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6st5jJLMbc
            Of course that is about the MAC.
            But in any case, the mouse does not damage the PC.

If the mouse has been modified, the PC may not be able to read the mouse correctly. Mouse firmware is low-level code. You have to count time delays and things like that and generate a response in a very short time frame.

My guess is the old PC does not have USB 2.0 and that would make a difference with a custom mouse.

So then, no, don't throw the old PC away. Just get a standard mouse. Or use a analog Joy Stick. if it has an old joy stick port.

Ok, I think I lost you a little bit. The mouse is not custom at all. Updating the firmware is procedural measures the company that owns the mouse offers. What you do is Flash the firmware. Sort of like Flashing the bios. Is it possible Flashing the firmware could cause USB problems?

The computer I had was only a few years old. It was a HP AMD dual core athlon 4200 I'm positive it had USB 2.0.

But you have to remember.. It was three different mice.

Razer Copperhead, Razer Salmosa, And a Logitech G3. The copperhead 1st, salmosa 2nd, G3 last. All three, same result.

Also the mouse changes sensitivity,speed upon restarting or IDLing, it makes no sense, what would cause that? I.e. I restart and the mouse is a little slower or a little faster then what it was previously, is it possible internal dmg causing DPI mal-functions? All three mice have DPI changing buttons, technology. etc. you know what I mean?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »
            Please disregard my prior posts
            After reading your pots again, I am going to recant.
            Somehow I got the idea it was a very old computer. And I thought you wee doing custom mods on the mice.

There is nothing wrong with your computer.
            There mice will work on another computer.

It is not an evil spirit. It is a computability issue. If you communicate with the vendors, you have to give them the model of you PC and which OS you are using. Exactly. There is an issue known to Microsoft about your system. I don't have the knowledge and skill to tell you were to go. Hopefully, the mouse makers would know about this and be able o help you get the patch from Microsoft. If that is the problem.

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=22&threadid=121452