Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB mouse issues  (Read 1990 times)

baneverything

USB mouse issues
« on: December 06, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »

I just recently built a PC and installed windows XP pro on it, service pack 3
I got everything working just fine, mouse and all
But then when I moved the computer over to my house (had been staying at uncles) and hooked everything up, the USB mouse stopped working
It lights up so I know it's getting power
It will even move for a few seconds, but then it stops
Other times it won't even move at all
It's a death adder razer USB mouse
I've tried it with my old PC & my laptop and it works fine
I've also tried another mouse with my newly built PC, but it won't work either
I know the USB ports are working because I plugged in my keyboard in all of them just to be sure, and my wireless USB card and it worked in them all too
It's just the mouse
So far, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the USB ports and the HID drivers
I've uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers specifically for the deathadder mouse
I've backed up/deleted some files in the system (this got it to where the mouse now shows up in the device manager, but as usual, after a few seconds it stopped working again)
I've also done a restore to the last good configuration, but that didn't help either

I'm getting the little window at the bottom of the screen at start up saying New Hardware Detected: Death adder mouse
And it installs and works, then stops
But when I go into the device manager, it's showing up there under HID devices and it says everything is working fine

One other thing, Mice/Other pointing devices is missing from the device manager...Not sure why...everything was fine until I moved back into my house and tried hooking it up there

If you guys can help, I would really appreciate it

truenorth

Guru

Re: USB mouse issues
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
    baneverything,Your explanation of your problem and the various things that you have tried is very complete and to me seems to cover just about all the courses of action you could have taken. I suspect the only relevance of the changed location of the computer is the possibility it has caused a problem with a connection. Hard to believe that it would be a USB port connection as other devices are not intermittent when used in them. A defective mouse is also not likely. Is it possible for you to try and install and use a PS2 mouse?(not through an adapter but via an actual PS2 mouse port). Other than the uninstal/reinstall of mouse related software since you brought it home have you changed or added any additional software? truenorth

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: USB mouse issues
      « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 01:57:51 PM »
      1) Are there any other USB devices connected to this new PC?  If those devices are bus-powered (meaning, they don't require plugging in an AC adapter to the wall or surge protector), then they could be sucking too much power.

2) What's the wattage of the new PC's power supply?
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.