Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound - amost  (Read 1972 times)

denismurf

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

No sound - amost
    « on: December 06, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
    Machine is a refurbished emachine tower with Vista. Speakers produce a test sound when you click on the "Test speakers" icon. BUT, nothing comes out if you play music stored on the machine or play a CD or play something from an outside souce. Sound card screen says "this device is working properly."

Seems like there's a mute button I can't find or a volume control set to zero. All the ones I see are properly set.

Ideas?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: No sound - amost
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »
    Have you tested sounds from Control Panel - Sounds?

denismurf

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
      Thanks,  Allan. Control Panel for Sound gives 3 boxes: 1)Playback, 2)Recording, and 3)Sounds.
      2) shows mike and aux in are working,and line-in not plugged in
      3) looks like sound effects for specified events. Relevant here?

1) says: Speakers-Realtek High Definition Audio Not Plugged In, and
                  : Realtek Digital Output-Realtek High Definition Audio is working

As I mentioned before, the speakers are plugged in and produce sound if you test the speakers.

denismurf

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: No sound - almost
        « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 06:27:27 PM »
        Forgot to mention that the online Emachine "manual" does not show exactly the same keyboard they sent me. The one I got (unlike the one pictured) has at the top a button with a speaker icon with a diagonal line through it and tabs on either side with down (L) and up(R) arrows. I've fiddled with this stuff too to no avail. However, maybe there's somewhere else on the keyboard governing volume. Or I just haven't done the right thing at the top of the keyboard.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 05:58:01 AM »
        While in the control panel applet, when you play individual sounds associated with events in the Sounds tab above, can you hear them?

denismurf

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
          No.
          Sound comes from speakers only when you go to RealtekHD Audio Manager, configuration, with stereo checked and line-out jack into a light green hole in the back of the tower. Click on the picture of a speaker, and you get a short spurt of "music."

denismurf

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 01:20:17 PM »
            Problem solved.
            I broke through to "Rory" at the help desk of Seneca, the outfit that refurbished the machine. He guided me to a screen I'd seen before, but didn't know what it meant. This was Speakers - Properties - Advanced, where something inside a box labelled Exclusive Mode was checked. I unchecked both and now have sound.
            Thanks for your time and patience, Allan. I hope this experience helps you and others. -- Denis