Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux PC Tablet!  (Read 3598 times)

chevysf

Topic Starter

Linux PC Tablet!
    « on: December 07, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »
    I have a Linux tablet..2005 im pretty sure.. With windows XP on it.
    The problem is when i turn it on the screen is too dark like the battery is about to die but the screen settings haven't been touched, and its plugged in.
    I can just barely see the Xp start up screen and the desktop is almost impossible to read.
    It was working fine until the battery died yesterday, and ive had it plugged in ever since.Battery says its 98%
    Ahh I need some help with this,someone gave it to me and I have no clue about the xp tablet lol

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Linux PC Tablet!
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:28:42 PM »
    a "Linux Tablet" with "Windows XP" on it?
    That sounds fishy...

The dark screen is most likely caused by a failing LCD screen power inverter or backlight.
    Either can be replaced by yourself if you have some knowledge of how to open a laptop, unfortunately it is often risky for inexperienced users. (Myself, I would be uncomfortable replacing a backlight unless it was easily accessible... a power inverter usually isn't too much).

Can you give us a model number of the tablet PC so we can assist you in finding parts?
    If you can afford to, and if you consider it worthwhile, you may want to consider bringing it to a PC Repair technician.

moksha

Greenhorn

Re: Linux PC Tablet!
      « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »
      My laptop Asus which runs Mepis 8 (linux) and Vista occasionally had a problem like that, I am not a windows person but on the bottom panel on the right should be a power management icon, if you can see it check the brightness settings and adjust they sometimes self adjust - glitch. If you cannot see it at all will the tablet boot from an external cd Rom drive, if you can then see the screen repost the question over in the MS forum, if you cannot go with Zylstra's advice and go to a dealer or get more details and post info