Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: installing power supply  (Read 2731 times)

xilter

Topic Starter

Starter

installing power supply
    « on: December 08, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
    i fried my old power supply, ( i hope it is only the power supply and not the mother board as well ) plugged my canadian computer into a brittish power outlet and forgot to flick the switch on the back from 110v over to 220. " POP " followed by the magic smoke escaping.. tried to poke the smoke back in but that didnt work. jokes aside, i bought a new power supply and am trying to install it myself.

the cd drive and hard drive both use 15 pin sata connectors and while the new power supply has two connectors they are both on the same strand of four wires.

afraid that plugging both the hard drive and cd drive on the same set of wires would increase the resistance and mess up the amperage going to the components resulting in their failure, i took a crimp style sata connecor off the old power supply and attached it to one of the unused 4 pin connectors on the new power supply ( ignoring the orange wire as the original power supply did not have orange wires going to the sata connectors at all )

is this ok? or can i plug both the cd drive and hard drive in on the same set of wires? or is there a better idea i just havent thought of?

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: installing power supply
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 03:50:15 PM »
    Using both connectors on 1 lead is fine...as long as it's not a cheap PSU.
    But with only 2 SATA power connectors i suspect it may very well be...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

xilter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 03:53:09 PM »
      uhh its a http://www.highpowerplus.com/405.htm

and is there anything wrong with using a crimp sata connector on the four pin lead?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:10:06 PM »
      It should work just fine, if you crimped it properly.  SATA HDD's don't even use the orange wire, (+3.3V),
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA
      Adapters exist which can convert a 4-pin Molex connector to a SATA power connector. However, because the 4-pin Molex connectors do not provide 3.3 V power, these adapters provide only 5 V and 12 V power and leave the 3.3 V lines unconnected. This precludes the use of such adapters with drives that require 3.3 V power. Understanding this, drive manufacturers have largely left the 3.3 V power lines unused.

xilter

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:08:15 AM »
        well im prety sure i have it right.. i followed the wires out so that it is laid just like the other connector, with the second black and the red wires crosses so that it is yellow back red yellow instead of yellow black black red..

im actually an automotive mechanic so im confident that i put it in the same way i took it out.. its just i dont actually know what i am doing so i am hesitant about turning it on after i have modified it after taking it out of the box.

but in my mind if the wires are all color coded for certain voltages then i see no reason why it would matter which ones you use as long as they are the right color.

but knowing that putting the crimp on there is an ok idea as well as putting both the hard drive and cd drive on the same lead is ok. i should be good thank you for your help

;D ;D

grew the balls. plugged it in. turned it on works good.
        the cd drive did not work at first but i suspected the crimp did not bite through the coating properly so i trimmed the plastic off so the crimp would connect properly and now the cd drive works

p.s. i linked the power supply. it IS good enough to have the cd drive and hard drive on the same lead right? curious..
        « Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:58:56 AM by xilter »

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »
        Again...yes.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "