Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD/DVD Drives Disappear from My Computer in Windows XP  (Read 2595 times)

IllinoisWayne

Topic Starter

Rookie
    CD/DVD Drives Disappear from My Computer in Windows XP
    « on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
    I built a computer for a friend of mine about a year ago.  Just recently, the two DVD/CD drives stopped working.  They do not appear under My Computer, but if I look in CMOS, they show up as Master and Slave on the Primary IDE. 

When I look in Device Manager (Windows XP Home SP3), the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels each has two entries, and all four entries have a yellow circle with an exclamation mark in it.  I deleted those four entries, rebooted the computer, and they reinstalled, but still no good - the yellow circles reappeared.  I have tried running in Safe Mode, and still cannot access the drives.  I also reinstalled the chipset drivers on the Asus motherboard.

It appears that maybe something is corrupted in Windows, but I’m not sure how to fix it.  I put in the original Windows CD and went to the Repair option, and at that point, using the Command Prompt, I can see both drives are there.

Any idea what is going on and how I can get this working again.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: CD/DVD Drives Disappear from My Computer in Windows XP
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:57 PM »
    Right click on any Channel, click "Properties", then "Advanced settings" tab. Does it show PIO mode?

IllinoisWayne

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
      My Primary IDE Channel (I have nothing connected to the Secondary Channel but it has the same symptoms), Devices 0 and 1 both show a Device Type of Auto Detect, Transfer Mode of DMA if Available, and Current Transfer Mode as Not Applicable.

Not sure what PIO Mode is all about, but I tried that setting and shut off Auto Detect.  After booting back up, everything had changed back to what I listed above.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
      In Device Manager right clik the CDRom drive and select uninstall/remove...
      You will recieve a warning...ignore it and re-boot.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "