Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard disk drives not recognized by BIOS  (Read 4067 times)

yeti

Hard disk drives not recognized by BIOS
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:18:22 AM »
I am having a problem booting my Dell Dimension 8250.  
I am running Windows XP Home.
After a couple of years, when I boot a get an error "Pimary Drive Not Found, Secondary Drive Not Found"  "F1 to continue or F2 to Setup"

F1 gets the same message.  F2 goes to Setup.

If I make any change to the configuration and even change it back to the original, I press ESC  and Save and Exit the PC boots correctly with not problem.

I I restart the PC I have not problem, but if I power it down I have to go through Setup again to get it to boot.  

I thought that it may be an error in the BIOS, but I downloaded and installed the latest from Dell and I still have the problem.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Yeti

merlin_2

Re: Hard disk drives not recognized by BIOS
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 11:23:36 AM »
check the ides cables.........or download a diagnostic program like sisoftsandra........what does the* disk management program* tell you about your hard drive

*control panel/admin tools*

SmurfanCoke

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:17:59 PM »
If the PC is a couple of years old, could it be the CMOS backup battery?, just an idea..

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 03:30:22 PM »
Good thought......Quote: As msoft says anything is possible....yes just rip people off.....by upgrading to winxp.....software of old msoft will some be readunant? to a mass even more wealth.......bgates is time to spend the cash on the needy.....you will not live long enough to spend it unless you are planning to end up like Robocop.....

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 05:09:21 PM »
Properly set Master and Slave jumper. Also check to see if IDE cables are connected properly.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 05:13:14 PM »
If the PC is a couple of years old, could it be the CMOS backup battery?, just an idea..

It's a good idea, that's what I was thinking.  The CMOS battery should last 5-10 years, but maybe you have a bad one.  Did you check the diagnostic lights on the back of the tower?
Advanced Troubleshooting